Talk

Advanced search

Found a frog... enclosed garden

(13 Posts)
storybrooke Mon 15-Jun-15 10:40:36

Hope this is the right place to post... We have a rockery we've been dumping grass cuttings and leaves on. I've just come to clear it and a frog jumped out at me confused

We don't have a pond and I've not seen any in the other gardens I can see so unsure what to do? I do love frogs, my nan used to have some in her garden and didn't have a pond but did have rainwater catchers which we don't have.

I'm reluctant to do any more clearing yet (it does need to be done unfortunately) until I know more. The garden is fully enclosed and I can't see how it could have gotten in from another so would I assume it lives there? What can I do to make a nice home for it there whilst still removing the crap? I can't install a pond as the kids are very young and curious. I'm unsure what to do, any ideas?

Pointlessfan Mon 15-Jun-15 10:44:52

We have an enclosed garden and find frog from time to time. I assume they come from the lake down the road. I love them as we have about a billion slugs which they eat. I shouldn't worry too much, he or she will find his own way out/place to hide. Just be careful when using the lawn mower.

shovetheholly Mon 15-Jun-15 10:48:21

Ooooh, how lovely, I am jealous! Both frogs and toads are happy in damp environments like under sheds or in log piles/damp piles of leaves. Sounds as though you've had one move in!

If you move the leaves to an unobtrusive, shady corner, maybe with some logs too, I'm sure your frog will happily live in there, leaving the rockery to you! It'll keep down your slugs for you, too.

CarriesBucketOfBlood Mon 15-Jun-15 10:49:56

Could it have been dropped by a bird? In that case would it want to keep living in your garden?

addictedtosugar Mon 15-Jun-15 10:52:00

I doubt you've got a garden enclosed enough to keep a frog out. They can get through pretty small gaps.
I'd guess he's come from a neighbouring garden with a pond. I'm sure he'll find anouth damp corner if he needs to move once you've cleared his current prefered spot.

storybrooke Mon 15-Jun-15 11:03:14

Just been back out and you could be right actually, he was a pretty big guy and we have bamboo along the back for privacy but he could have poked under and through. Its very damp and a bit smelly under the leaves and cuttings so will move some to the back corner behind a big rock and hope hes happy grin I've not noticed even one slug that I can remember living here but theres lots of snails of he'd snack on those? Sooo cute I'm desperate for him to stay! May even have a little family of them? Soon as I saw him I stopped as was using a big spade and didn't want to risk hurting anymore lurking. Was a lovely surprise grin

mousmous Mon 15-Jun-15 11:06:35

they need damp. so keep a corner wet if it gets too dry.
we have an area of fern/bug hotel/shrubs and water it regularly for extra moisture.

echt Mon 15-Jun-15 13:49:49

I am in Australia and madly envy your frog situation. Almost very garden I've seen in Au, including ours, has fences to the ground - possibly a snake preventative, but also stops the frogs.

I am no help at all.

Preserve the frog.

traviata Mon 15-Jun-15 20:13:46

how about a dustbin lid pond? That would give froggy a base and other wildlife would love it too, but be safe for your young DC.

CarriesBucketOfBlood Tue 16-Jun-15 08:55:51

Maybe you haven't ever seen a slug because he is so good at eating them all... hmm

bowsaw Mon 29-Jun-15 17:01:35

frogs and esp toads spend very little time in water over the year.

The damp insect filled compost heap is a ideal spot for them, out the sun to protect their fragile skin that they can partly breath through and with food on tap.

A ridge tile filled with moss in a shading spot is a good home or a old terracotta pot, they will come out after dark and pray on slugs etc

Notgrumpyjustquiet Mon 06-Jul-15 17:09:04

I think they only need a pond to breed in? Otherwise as pp have said they seem happy just being somewhere relatively cool and damp. I've found frogs and toads in my compost heap/ under piles of leaves/ in holes they've dug into the soil, with no pond in sight. I've also seen them hopping along the pavement round here on warm summer nights esp if it's been raining so they travel fairly well and they're obviously pretty small when they first grow legs etc so it could have been there a couple of years if it's a reasonable size now.

Oldraver Sat 11-Jul-15 22:17:02

We used to have loads of frogs when I first moved into my house..I suspect there may of been a pond on the land originally but we had a strip that was overgrown and full of trees stumps and was very damp.

We dont have anyway near as many but see them regularily, I just leave them be. We have a stone wall and they hide in there even though it is quite dry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now