Talk

Advanced search

What is clashing in your garden today ?

(13 Posts)
Callmegeoff Thu 11-Jun-15 17:04:21

Is it as bad as my self seeded Californian poppy flopping in front of a burgundy/ yellow Aquilegia? They are pretty on their own but look awfu together but I'm loathe to pull either out!

PonderousTortoise Thu 11-Jun-15 17:34:08

Oh, I basically only like purple and orange flowers, so that's not clashing to me! I'd love a whole garden of purple and orange.

I've moved aquilegias with no problem - can't you pop it somewhere else?

I'm jealous of the Californian poppy - I love them, and need to find somewhere to put some.

Callmegeoff Thu 11-Jun-15 20:21:16

I like orange and purple too, but these plants don't quite work. I will move the Aqulilegia and get seeds from the lovely poppy. smile

aircooled Thu 11-Jun-15 20:22:02

I love purple and orange too, I think the reason these plants 'clash' is the partly shade loving cottagey aquilegia with the brasher sunloving C. poppy. The poppy with a purple dahlia or salvia would look great.

MyNightWithMaud Thu 11-Jun-15 22:02:10

I have magenta geranium psilostemon in front of deep red rose Darcey Bussell. It's so bad, it's good!

craftysewer Thu 11-Jun-15 23:10:37

Yes, my orange poppy (I didn't know what colour it was going to be) has flowered in the middle of my pink/purple/blue border.

shovetheholly Fri 12-Jun-15 10:28:56

I have been hoping and hoping that a mystery papaver in my garden was pink, not red.

It has come out and it is pink. Very, very bright pink. I think it might actually have looked better red now. confused

shovetheholly Fri 12-Jun-15 10:31:13

Oh, and I also have some candelabra primulas that were supposed to be Miller's Crimson. They are not. They are a shade of 1980s peach that is reminiscent of a bathroom suite, and they look just appalling amidst my lilac, white and light yellow scheme.

echt Fri 12-Jun-15 13:25:22

Don't pull them out, but remember not to do it nest time. <Says she who has planted three purple-flowering plants next to each other>. Duh.

echt Fri 12-Jun-15 13:25:50

Nest? Next.

TheNoodlesIncident Fri 12-Jun-15 13:51:03

The worst is when you buy something because the flowers will look great with other flowers, but then it turns out to be a completely different variety <Yes The Governor, I'm looking at you> and doesn't look good at all

PonderousTortoise Fri 12-Jun-15 15:28:57

Yes, I do see what you mean air - I was just looking at the colours.

Just saw one in my garden - lots of lovely (if messy) purples and blues that go together, but behind them an apricot-y thing (I don't know what it is!) that I would love in another place, but looks horrid next to all the purples. (So my orange and purple thing doesn't always hold it would seem!)

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 12-Jun-15 15:38:15

I have a lovely drift of lilac and mauve aquilegia, tastefully complemented by some purple blue geraniums, alliums and contrasting lime green ladies mantle.

Then I have a massive bunch of bright red poppies clashing horrendously right in the middle.

I dug the bloody things out last year but they've come back just as strong. They were supposed to be Patty's Plum, (Gardeners World magazine freebie). I'm blaming you Monty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now