Talk

Advanced search

Lollipop trees?

(10 Posts)
LostInMusic Tue 09-Jun-15 16:30:44

I'm in the process of completely redesigning/planting my back garden and would like to plant a pair of lollipop trees either side of the entrance to my lawn. I'd like them to be no more than 5 foot tall, with the lollipop no more than about 1 metre across. I had though about yew half standards, but I'm not sure whether I'd be able to keep them within that size frame...? Have you any other suggestions as to what I could choose?
They'd be in sun for most of the day and in very free-draining soil.
Any thoughts would be muchly appreciated. smile

LaurieFairyCake Tue 09-Jun-15 16:35:25

Bay? It's slower growing

LostInMusic Tue 09-Jun-15 16:52:57

Hmmm...I'd like something more hardy than Bay, though.

traviata Tue 09-Jun-15 20:15:54

holly?
pittosporum?
olives?
roses? (bare in winter)
hardy fuchsias?

shovetheholly Wed 10-Jun-15 09:31:47

I have three standard (lollipop) small-leaved lilacs in my garden. The smell this time of year is amazing! They aren't evergreen, though.

Yew half standards are lovely and extremely classy but will be £££££.

Bay is good - and is much hardier when established and planted in the soil than it is in a pot. I think if you nurtured it a bit the first year, it would potentially be fairly trouble-free thereafter.

aircooled Wed 10-Jun-15 11:10:33

Yes to bay - it is much hardier than you think especially when planted in the situation you describe. Also, you can use the prunings in the kitchen! - let the leaves dry out first or they can be bitter.

Millymollymama Wed 10-Jun-15 11:49:56

Yew is VERY slow growing - so no problem with size and it is the traditional tree for topiary so is easily clipped. Bay does well. I have weeping Kilmarnock Willows. They are bigger though.

LostInMusic Wed 10-Jun-15 19:36:49

I do really like Bay lollipops, so I will have a look at those too. The lilacs sound wonderful, but I'd really like something evergreen. I'm pleased to hear that you think I'd be able to keep a pair of Yews to that sort of size, though. Hmmmm...decisions...

itsnothingoriginal Fri 12-Jun-15 22:23:05

Photinia red robin? Can be bought as a standard lollipop tree. Evergreen with lovely red growth!

LostInMusic Sat 13-Jun-15 19:10:33

Hmmm - I like the idea of a couple of Red Robin standards too!
Thanks for all you suggestions - I just need to make a decision now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now