Talk

Advanced search

What will grow well and ideally smell gorgeous under a glass roof?

(7 Posts)
prepperpig Mon 08-Jun-15 14:33:57

We have a south facing patio area under a glass canopy. There are floor to ceiling walls to the north and east, the south has a waist height wall along the top of which I've planted a dwarf lavender hedge, the west "wall" is completely open to the elements. It's a really lovely area which we use a lot for eating and sitting reading but it needs brightening up a bit. Any thoughts for what will like the extra heat under the glass and do well in large pots?

traviata Mon 08-Jun-15 19:43:07

sounds gorgeous.

how about gardenias?

datura are fabulous, but they are poisonous, so not always a good choice.

prepperpig Mon 08-Jun-15 20:46:15

Will check out gardenias thank you. DSs are old enough to know not to try to eat anything so poisonous isn't really a problem.

prepperpig Mon 08-Jun-15 20:48:29

Ooo the gardenias look amazing. I love big showy flowers.

redcaryellowcar Mon 08-Jun-15 21:00:07

Not sure if this would work or if they are particularly fragrant but if well sheltered bougainvillaea are beautiful, but our climate is a bit chilly for them, they thrive in Spain and maybe under very beautiful sounding glass canopies?

traviata Tue 09-Jun-15 20:12:52

hmm, just reconsidering gardenias; I think they need quite a steady temperature, and if your area is open at the sides, it will get chilly at night, so I am not sure they will manage there.

There is one gardenia described as 'hardy' which might be ok there, and will appreciate the bit of extra protection.

Bougainvillea are not fragrant, unfortunately.

Roses could do well; if you pick a 'patio rose' it will stay a manageable size for a large pot.

prepperpig Wed 10-Jun-15 07:26:15

Its a tricky area since like you say it is open to the elements, its not a greenhouse or a conservatory. But when the sun is out the heat in the area is intensified due to the glass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now