Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a wall/fence - photo

(10 Posts)
WipsGlitter Sun 07-Jun-15 17:01:37

Any ideas for what I could do with this. Hope to get some beds put in along the wall next year but it's still dreadful to look at in the meantime!

MairzyDoats Sun 07-Jun-15 21:33:57

Tricky because of the wall (why is there a wall next to the fence?!) But you could plant honeysuckle, jasmine, roses, anything really at the base of the wall. You just need a supporting structure in place for whatever you choose to scramble up. I've got wire stretched acrosd my fence and trained a climbing rose through it, I'm hoping in a year or so that all of the wires will be hidden by the rose and a clematis (if it ever takes hold...the snails keep munching it)

WipsGlitter Sun 07-Jun-15 21:41:54

There's a big drop between our garden and next door so it's a retaining wall. So the fence is on top of the wall!

WipsGlitter Sun 07-Jun-15 21:42:51

The wall is actually waist height.

storybrooke Sun 07-Jun-15 21:48:21

That is tricky. If you're thinking of adding a border bed I'd probably do as pp said and build/buy a trellis for climbers or plants shrubs (and in the meantime use the wall as a shelf, get some long thin planters and pop in some bedding plants/strawberry plants/herb garden and you'd have a mini border. Have a look on Pinterest?

echt Mon 08-Jun-15 06:12:54

I have a steep drop from my NDN's to my garden, think a metre, with a fence about 6' on top, at one level of the garden, to nothing at the back.

The solution, not ours because they were here when we bought, was raised beds. There are trees, bamboo, all sorts planted in them, and you get the softening effect of trailing plants.

Kahlua4me Mon 08-Jun-15 06:20:28

Our garden is exactly the same, with wall and fence.

We have put a trellis along the top of the fence and planted a clematis to grow along it. I have also put some flowering shrubs to break up the line of vision. I did have flower beds but the children always seemed to fall in them when running along the wall!

shovetheholly Mon 08-Jun-15 08:29:20

I don't think it will be a problem to grow climbers up it and completely cover it. They tend to bush out after a few years, and will happily cover the entire space, concealing the indent between the wall and fence. You'll need a lot of plants (maybe stock up when Aldi have one of their 'climbers for £1.79' deals?). You can run a wire half way up the wall, and use this and a cane to support them as they reach the fence. Then you can get one of those big DIY staple guns and stable some brown plastic trellis mesh to the fence. It will look ugly for a bit, but will soon be covered as the climbers rocket up it - I would just leave them to scramble in profusion rather than aiming for anything overly neat. You can use things like rambling roses, clematis, and some evergreen climbers (trachylospermum jasminoides/clematis armandii) to suit your aspect. I would also consider some shrubs that can be grown against walls for a bit of a contrast - magnolia grandiflora, for instance, can look spectacular and is evergreen, and wisteria will love a fence in a sunny spot.

WipsGlitter Mon 08-Jun-15 12:27:06

Thanks everyone!! I'd thought of hanging baskets but think they might look a bit Spartan, and planters but it's quite a long wall.

How long would it take to get climbers established?

Next year is Sort The Garden Year. There's a big slope to the right and I want that levelled first!!

fenneltea Mon 08-Jun-15 13:04:44

A clematis montana would cover it in no time, the downside is that it will need pruning regularly to keep within bounds! I've just bought 'Elizabeth' and I'm toying with where to plant it as the last one was right up to the roof and growing fast and my husband took it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now