Has anyone grown sweetcorn?

(8 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Fri 05-Jun-15 19:37:21

I decided to experiment and bought some sweetcorn seeds. I started them in pots inside and then moved them to the greenhouse before planting them out in the veg patch.

They were looking really healthy before I put them in the ground and seemed to be growing steadily. But now they're not looking too happy, they've not seemed to grow any more and they just sort of have slightly floppy pale green leaves. They don't look dead but I'm not sure they look quite right.

Do they need special soil, do they need lots of water or not much? They're in full sun with the runner beans and the runner beans are growing well.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 06-Jun-15 08:21:11

This is one of them.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 06-Jun-15 18:36:57

Hello I am iwouldgoouttonight's sweetcorn. Please help me before she kills me....confused

welliesandwine Sat 06-Jun-15 18:43:38

Have they just got a bit wind battered or were in a shady spot before and now flagging a bit in the sun ....maybe give them a bit of feed and water if they're suffering a bit of planting out shock? We grow ours in not so brill soil in sun .....they do sit a bit after planting out I think maybe just settling in and establishing roots before growing more

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 06-Jun-15 18:50:10

They are exposed to more wind and sun than before I planted them out so I guess that might be it. I've fed and watered them.

So they might just be settling in and will hopefully have a growth spurt soon then. How tall are yours?

SometimesItRains Sat 06-Jun-15 18:54:38

We have done the same this year. They really don't like being transplanted apparently and they don't like wind or cold. However, after a few weeks of doing nothing and looking like they were half dead, they are starting to grow now. Give it some time and hopefully yours will too. Next year we will plant in compostable containers so that they can be put straight into the soil when ready to be planted out and we will cover them with fleece when strong winds are forecast - this is what DH's parents have advised and theirs always works wonderfully.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 06-Jun-15 19:03:42

Fingers crossed mine will pick up soon then. Some look better than others, there are some that I don't think have survived!

shovetheholly Sun 07-Jun-15 08:14:16

I think they look good! I suspect it's the shock of being transplanted and they will soon be racing away.

The peat pot thing really works - you can get a big pack of the pots in Poundland for £1 in the spring, and by planting the whole thing, you don't shock the plant quite so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now