Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know what these two shrubs/trees are please?

(6 Posts)
Americanhoney Thu 04-Jun-15 15:45:14

Hi, would be grateful if anyone can help identify them. The purple flowering one is a tree I saw in a front garden and the one without flowers seemed like a shrub, also in a front garden. We are novice gardeners with borders to fill and wondered if anyone can assist? Pics below. Thank you in advance.

IrianofWay Thu 04-Jun-15 15:47:34

Azalea I think - might be rhododendron but am never sure of the difference!

shovetheholly Thu 04-Jun-15 15:52:23

The purple one: count the stamens on the flower! If it has 5, it's an Azalea. If it has more like 10, it's a rhodo. Also, some azaleas shed their leaves in the winter whereas I don't think any rhodos do (though I could be wrong about this).

The green one is a pieris japonica, I think (not completely 100% sure). It looks really happy and healthy!

Americanhoney Thu 04-Jun-15 20:16:01

Thank you so much for your helpful replies. I am off to google now that I have something to go with. Thanks

ChishandFips33 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:11:25

Not a clue about the other 2 but number 3 does look like a pieris (mountain fire possibly - new growth comes through a gorgeous red colour then steadily turns green) Can grow past 5' - lovely they are - fairly easy too cos I have a few now, so they must be hardy

Americanhoney Sat 06-Jun-15 22:31:02

Fips, thanks. Did some research online and now eagerly awaiting next trip to garden centre to pick up some more plants now that I know what I want and where I can plant them in our garden. Thanks again to all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now