I need some expert advice about my garden!

(7 Posts)
Coffeeandyoghurt Sun 31-May-15 08:51:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shovetheholly Sun 31-May-15 09:40:10

Covering the soil keeps moisture locked in. It may simply be that the covered plants are less thirsty than the others. If you haven't been watering regularly, it may be time to start! Trees (hedging) planted after about March often need lots of water initially.

With clay, you need to improve the organic content of the soil. So when planting, dig a big hole and spade in lots of compost! If the clay is especially heavy, horticultural grit and gypsum (claybreaker) may help.

I would try covering under your hedge with mulch. This will provide more nutrients than gravel or bark. Cheap peat free compost will do, or you can buy bulk bags of spent mushroom compost or proprietary mulch.

Coffeeandyoghurt Sun 31-May-15 10:07:52

shovetheholly Sun 31-May-15 10:18:15

Oooh, please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on! It's so exciting when you start a new garden, but also daunting if it's your first time. We've all been there, though! It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and I'm sure your garden will reward you by growing lush in a few years' time! grin

AlternativeTentacles Sun 31-May-15 10:30:34

When you say it was a blank canvas, is the stuff that is doing well more established?

Thing with watering, is that the more you water the less it has to put roots down so the longer it takes to get established. I water in [usually] and then maybe the next day then i leave it. Adding bark or gravel is called mulching and yes it keeps the water in. I only ever get the water out for pots and for droughts.

Coffeeandyoghurt Sun 31-May-15 11:01:37

Methe Sun 31-May-15 11:40:03

If it's a new build you will probably have a load of builders rubble a few inches under the surface in the garden and if there is nothing will grow properly there until it's all dug out and removed sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now