Talk

Advanced search

Which gardening brochures are good?

(6 Posts)
Rizzlekicks Sat 30-May-15 16:08:13

Would like to look at a few catalogues to give me ideas what to plant when. Are there any good ones?

shovetheholly Sat 30-May-15 16:21:22

Gardening brochures that sell plants are a bit like estate agents' blurbs. You have to treat them with a pinch of salt!

Not sure whether you are thinking of veg or ornamental plants, but you are probably better off googling your aspect/soil type and looking for plants that you like, and then checking them up individually for planting times. As a rule, though, most ornamental plants can go in during summer/autumn, annuals are sown April/May, spring bulbs tend to go in Sept/Oct, trees during the winter. Veg is a world more complicated, and you're best off buying an allotment book with a planting chart to give you guidance.

gaslamp Sat 30-May-15 16:26:20

I like Crocus website, RHS and Gardeners World. Also Pinterest has fab inspirational pictures

Thisishowyoudisappear Mon 01-Jun-15 23:15:57

You might be better off with a book. RHS What Plant When is good. I like the Sarah Raven catalogues, for inspiration mainly. Real Seed Company if you're into veg.

florentina1 Tue 02-Jun-15 07:50:14

I think looking through gardening brochures is an excellent idea when you start to plan a garden. they give you an idea of what a plant look likes, its name, conditions tolerated and eventual height and spread.

Parkers, T&M, Spaldings and Van Meuwan come to,mind.

You can make a list of suitable plants, then Google for more info, as naturally the catalogue will show the plant at its very best.

Be aware that plants supplied are often much smaller than they appear, and that things in plant catalogues are often in the "bargain section" for a reason.

deckthehallswithdesperation Sat 06-Jun-15 12:05:52

'Bloms' for bulbs 'David Austin' for roses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now