Talk

Advanced search

Dalek or slatted compost bin - which is more family friendly?

(14 Posts)
greenishfingers Tue 19-May-15 12:14:58

This is our first summer in our new place (and with our little six month old baby!) and I am desperate to get composting!
The garden is extremely overgrown in parts so will produce a lot of waste once we bring it under control. I'm fed up with throwing veg peelings in the black bin as well.
Would the women of mumsnet recommend dalek bins or wooden slatted ones? I'm wondering which would be more family friendly as our girl grows up. Do the wooden ones attract rats any more than the plastic ones? Are they safe for kids to be around?
I prefer the look of the wooden ones and try seem like it would be easier to turn the compost in them but safety could swing me the other way.
We have a fairly large garden as do the neighbours surrounding but it's an urban area, if that makes any difference!
Thanks for any thoughts on this!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 19-May-15 12:21:41

I don't know what's a Dalek but but if it indeed looks like one than can tou please, please get it? grinshockthanks

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 19-May-15 12:22:08

First 'but' - 'bin'

greenishfingers Tue 19-May-15 12:39:15

Ah I just mean the plastic bins you can get off the local council. With some decoration to make them actually look like Daleks they could be a winner though, couldn't they? grin

prepperpig Tue 19-May-15 12:40:45

I thought you meant which is more family friendly- compost bins or daleks.

Which surely would have won the MN prize for the best question ever.

greenishfingers Tue 19-May-15 12:42:12

Turns out it's been done before!
(Not sure how to do links, sorry!)
http://m.chad.co.uk/news/local/video-mansfield-doctor-who-fan-converts-his-bin-into-a-dalek-1-7143020

AlternativeTentacles Tue 19-May-15 12:45:02

Either are ok for families. I prefer daleks as they can be lifted straight off and the compost turned staring back into the empty bin. Also the plastic kept it warmer under the lid. But the wooden ones look nicer and the rain helps to keep it damp.

greenishfingers Tue 19-May-15 12:50:11

Yes Prepper, that would have been a much better question!
Happily this man shows you can combine the two:
(the above link done properly)

greenishfingers Tue 19-May-15 12:53:15

Thanks, Alternative. This sleep-deprived first-time parent has been reading about baby-proofing her house and is seeing hazards everywhere!

Good to know the plastic ones have practical advantages (as well as being subsidized by the council).

shovetheholly Tue 19-May-15 13:20:29

I have a dalek, and I do what Alternative suggests. However, I am short of space and I get a bit cross about the mess created when turning - the bin is on earth right next to a patio area and I have to sweep up all the half-rotten leaves. But it is the only place I have!

If I had space, I would do what my Dad does, which is to have three slatted ones next to each other - he just turns one bin into the next as it's ready.

Tagetes Tue 19-May-15 13:27:08

Daleks are better - but if you have the space have two. Then you don't have to turn the compost because you can use them alternately: fill one for 6 months, then leave it for 6 months while you fill the other, then turn first one out and start again etc.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 19-May-15 15:44:55

That is disappointingsad
Please decorate it! grin

CruCru Thu 21-May-15 14:26:18

I like the slatted ones. They look nicer and get more air so tend not to stink as much.

funnyperson Fri 22-May-15 14:38:01

My slatted one didnt have a removable bottom slat so it was hard to get compost out let alone turn it. Ideally one wall of the slatted heap should be on hinges so that you can get the compost out and turn it. In the end I took the thing to pieces to get at the compost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now