Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to do to my geraniums???

(5 Posts)
washerwoman2 Sun 17-May-15 12:22:19

I have three windowbox style troughs attached to my south facing balcony railings. Last year I planted three trailing geraniums in each trough. They grew well and I watered them regularly but then it got colder and... I just left them. No pruning and no frost protection. I thought they were annuals so I figured I'd just get new ones this year but they have all survived the winter and are starting to bloom and flower again.

They look unkempt and are growing at all angles. What do I need to do? Is it too late to prune them into a more ordered shape? Do they need fresh compost or should I just add Miracle gro when watering? I know nothing about gardening!

washerwoman2 Sun 17-May-15 18:41:30

Have the gardeners come back indoors from doing their own gardens now? Is there anyone who can offer some advice?

florentina1 Sun 17-May-15 19:45:11

You can cut them back to a budding shoot and they will flower again. Most likely the flower display won't be a strong as the previous years. It is quite easy to take cuttings . So you can plant the bits you cut off into soil and get even more plants. Good luck.

washerwoman2 Sun 17-May-15 21:04:36

Thanks! Do you think I should change the compost or just pop in bit of food to help them grow?

bumpertobumper Sun 17-May-15 21:24:58

no need to change compost, but do give a good feed with miracle gro and keep feeding them every few weeks when they are flowering.
prune straggly, damaged or woody bits. they are very forgiving of random pruning so don't be scared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now