Talk

Advanced search

How the blink am I supposed to sweep my patio?

(10 Posts)
cheapandcheerful Tue 12-May-15 13:43:14

Stupid question alert! Or maybe not, maybe everyone has this problem...?

Every time I try to sweep our patio, I am left with a heap of old leaves/twigs/random crap and I don't know where to put it! Today I tried to sweep it towards the dark side of the garage, but by the time I'd smeared it all over the driveway, the wind had whipped up what was left of the pile and it is now back where it all started.

I'm new to all this gardening malarkey so be gentle with me!

Reginafalangie Tue 12-May-15 13:45:54

Do you not have a brown bin?

If not then use a lidded storage box and put all the leave/grass/twigs in there it will eventually mulch down and make good fertilizer.

Here smile

cheapandcheerful Tue 12-May-15 13:53:44

Ooh, thanks! That looks like the kind of thing I need!

And are you in Brighton too? smile

cheapandcheerful Tue 12-May-15 13:54:17

Oh and a brown bin? Am I supposed to have one?

Fleecyleesy Tue 12-May-15 13:56:09

How much stuff? Will a dustpan and brush get it up or is it too much? How do you dispose of other garden waste?

lynniep Tue 12-May-15 13:57:03

garden waste bin? does your local council not provide one?

Bearleigh Tue 12-May-15 14:01:22

Choose a day when it's not so windy, too. And/or when the leaves are a bit wet.

Buttercup27 Tue 12-May-15 14:03:22

Ours goes in the compost heap. It does mean we have to sieve some random cap out of the compost when we go to use it though.

cheapandcheerful Tue 12-May-15 14:05:31

We have only just moved into the house and so haven't yet figured out what to do with the vast quantity of garden waste we're producing. Composting could be the answer.

Our green council, in their wisdom, did not collect ANY garden waste! So no brown bins here I'm afraid. Maybe that will change now that the greens have lost the council...

It's always windy here unfortunately (live on top of a hill) but good idea about the leaves being wet. Thanks!

Bearleigh Tue 12-May-15 21:04:35

Composting is your friend C&C. It's wonderful seeing all the old potato peels, and grass clippings coming out all brown and fudgy. Make sure you mix in plenty of paper/woody stuff with the green stuff, so it rots down more quickly. I found it very difficult getting sensible advice on composting, initially. Now I have two Dalek compost bins and alternate between them. I have been known to add, ahem, urine to help it on its way. If you have lots of leaves best to put into black bin,infers with holes in and leave for a couple of years to produce leaf mould. Not as nutritional as compost apparently but good for soil conditioning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now