We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is eating my daisies?

(9 Posts)
msrisotto Sat 02-May-15 11:33:55

I had this really badly last year and as we are warming up and things are flowering, I can see it happening again. So, my daisies are chewed up and lop sided and leaves have holes in them. What could it be? It's too high up for slugs....what can I buy to kill whatever this is?

Any help appreciated!

aircooled Sat 02-May-15 20:50:37

What do you mean by 'daisies'?

msrisotto Sat 02-May-15 22:12:38

Not daisies that grow in your lawn, plants that have a daisy like flower. There are also holes in the tulip leaves and other random greenery.

Ferguson Sat 02-May-15 22:46:04

It could be caterpillars possibly, but slugs CAN climb to almost any height.

If it happens overnight, you could go out in the evening with a torch and have a look around, see if you can catch them at it!

Also if it is slugs and snails there is usually the 'slime' trail, and caterpillars often leave the 'droppings' as little black dots.

You can put slug pellets out.

It could also be birds, we have pigeons that will peck at almost anything.

msrisotto Mon 04-May-15 08:24:11

I have seen both caterpillars and slugs in my garden. Have put slug pellets down and sprayed everything liberally with bug spray which should deter caterpillars too. I've no idea if it is happening at night or when but hopefully that'll cover it. Thanks!

Methe Mon 04-May-15 09:13:43

Earwigs? Might be a bit early for them though. I had to stop growing dalias as they just got decimated by earwigs every year sad

Methe Mon 04-May-15 09:17:12

Earwigs

There's an interesting note on there about the use of pesticides too smile

Bolshybookworm Mon 04-May-15 11:21:57

Slugs are you're most likely culprit, im painful e. With caterpillars, you'll often see other signs eg curled up leaves (or a big fat caterpillar!). Honestly, slugs will stop at nothing to get to a tasty plant. Bane of my life.

Bolshybookworm Mon 04-May-15 11:22:22

Your! Damn autocorrect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now