Talk

Advanced search

cucamelons?

(9 Posts)
momb Fri 01-May-15 13:55:37

We've planted some seeds with the Brownies. Has anyone been successful with these in the UK? It says a sunny corner should be fine but I'd appreciate some reassurance.
Thanks

momb Tue 19-May-15 13:29:42

bumping in case anyone can advise.Thanks

ShatnersBassoon Tue 19-May-15 13:33:53

I planted some last week. I wad hoping to get them in sooner, but I didn't realise I'd ordered the seeds from China!

I have them in the greenhouse. I'll let you know if we have any success smile

whatsitallabout1 Tue 19-May-15 13:35:20

Yes, I started them off in greenhouse from seed, left some in growbags in greenhouse and some went outside. Greenhouse ones were very prolific, outside ones not so good. Germinating was easy.

They do look very cool, but IMO taste a bit rubbish I'm afraid - all thick skin around a lime flavoured cucumber ball. I won't bother again. Hope you like the taste better!

Takver Tue 19-May-15 18:02:35

Depends where you are in the UK. They'll be more prolific in a tunnel/ greenhouse. Outdoors - if outdoor tomatoes would be ok, then they should be fine (so sunny sheltered spot).

Callmegeoff Tue 19-May-15 19:46:01

Oh are they horrible, damn I've got 3 in the greenhouse!

Takver Tue 19-May-15 21:08:51

I wouldn't say they're horrible - nice, but not the most exciting thing ever, IYKWIM. When dd was little she used to love eating them as bite sized cukes. (These days she's a teenager and munches her way through the full sized vars grin )

Planted mine about 6 weeks ago, they are still tiny, think they need a real blast of warmth to get going.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 20-May-15 10:00:11

Ooh, I grew these last year, and it was pretty much my 1st year of gardening. They did take a while to get going, but once they did, they were triffids, they grwe huge amounts seemingly overnight and we're very prolific. I suspect they did so well due to the crazy hot summer we had last year.

I do remember that they kept dropping their flowers at first, p without any turning to fruit. Then suddenly they did fruit and no one could come near my house without being confronted by a bowlful of cucamelons to eat or takeaway... My DD and her friends, who were 8 last year, loved them, as they were soooooooo cuuuute, so hopefully they'll work out for your Brownies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now