Next door neighbours raspberry brambles are constantly popping up in our border.

(9 Posts)
Rjae Fri 01-May-15 09:52:21

They are nasty, prickly and very vigorous and I am losing the battle by just snipping them down.

I don't want to ask my neighbour to dig them up, so how do I control these invaders.

CruCru Fri 01-May-15 11:53:07

Honestly? I think you're going to have to keep going with the seceturs. A solid fence might help or not.

I need to do the same with some blackberry brambles.

Psipsina Fri 01-May-15 12:19:11

Would it be feasible to dig down under the fence and insert some sort of metal sheeting as a barrier? It would be difficult initially but if you haven't got anything very rooty or established yet, it might be worth the hassle.

Rjae Fri 01-May-15 14:49:37

We've got solid fencing but they come up under the fencing sad

How far down would I have to dig get the roots? I'll take a pic but digging down will be difficult without digging up the patio.

Getting worried about it coming under the decking as it's come up in one of the wooden end planting boxes (not solid bottomed)!

Think it will be secateurs. Would weed killer be any good. My neighbour isn't cultivating them as such. Just enjoys a few raspberries and lets it run wild.

Rjae Fri 01-May-15 14:59:10

Worse than I thought. There are tons of them.

shovetheholly Fri 01-May-15 15:02:06

I would try to dig down a bit and pull them out with some root attached. It won't stop it happening, but it will keep them under control. It's not that large a job - maybe 5 minutes in all?

VenusRising Fri 01-May-15 15:12:03

I'd let them grow, and string them back, and enjoy the raspberries tbh.
They're lovely in prosecco.

Life's too short wink

wonkylegs Fri 01-May-15 17:24:31

I find that it's the birds - eating the raspberries and pooing seeds all over the garden so I get them everywhere as well as the wanderers from the raspberry patch. The strawberries are worse! You have to keep cutting them out / digging out roots as they will keep coming back I'm afraid.

Rjae Sun 03-May-15 08:23:34

Thanks. Will get digging I think. Letting them grow is not an option, raspberry drinks notwithstanding grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now