Talk

Advanced search

So, like an idiot, I planted carrots seeds in trays and transplanted them....

(13 Posts)
TheDietStartsTomorrow Tue 14-Apr-15 16:46:32

And I only bothered to Google afterwards. Realised that transplanting carrots is a complete no - no. Why didn't anyone tell me this before??!! sad

Anyway, I've just spent two whole afternoons carefully transplanting my seedlings. So what do I do? Shall I pull them all out and start again? Or leave them and just make do a bath of stunted, deformed carrots this year and sow directly next year?

Fromparistoberlin73 Wed 15-Apr-15 09:23:55

really? all the books told me this is OK. gardening books that is.

shovetheholly Wed 15-Apr-15 09:26:01

I would leave them and see what happens. My Dad grows carrots in gutters and then very gently puts them into the ground, and they are fine. You might get away with it! Will be exciting to see what happens.

The great thing about carrots is that they benefit from succession sowings - so you can do your next lot straight into the ground and then compare.

JugglingLife Wed 15-Apr-15 10:00:32

You can buy seedlings in the garden centre to pot on........

TheDietStartsTomorrow Wed 15-Apr-15 23:18:52

Fromparis, really? I looked through mine and didn't see it bring advised like that anywhere. Even online, everyone advises to sow straight into the ground.

Shovetheholly, I can't be asked doing anything but leaving them now. I might end up with a pile of stunted, mangled, and deformed carrots but that's better than nothing I suppose. And I'm sure it'll teach my DC exactly what NOT to do in future. I'd do successive sowing but don't have the space. This was my one and only lot.

Juggling, I looked online and on one particular forum there was a lot of sneering and scoffing going on at amateurs who were daft enough to buy carrots and parsnips seedlings to plant on.hmm

Fromparistoberlin73 Tue 21-Apr-15 14:57:00

mighrt carrots have done jack shit growing, so you might well be right!!!! so annoyed, I am not cut out for farming

shovetheholly Tue 21-Apr-15 15:06:07

I had a total fail on carrots in the autumn, Paristoberlin - don't despair. Maybe try a second sowing in the same ground in a couple of weeks if nothing appears?

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 21-Apr-15 15:10:19

Yes the presence in garden centres of carrot, beetroot, etc seedlings for transplanting has always puzzled me as I have always been led to believe that root veggies can't be moved once sown. But some people must manage it, or are garden centres laughing up their sleeves?

Anyway, you may be lucky OP. FWIW, I have tried growing carrots on numerous occasions and never ended up with anything worth having.

Fromparistoberlin73 Tue 21-Apr-15 15:38:46

sincereky this is HARD work. I thought it would be a fun hobby- but I work FT and am exhausted!!!!

and dont get me started on drying bloody egg shells so they can be an eco friendly slug barrier

Or making nettle juive to be an aco friendly composter

TheDietStartsTomorrow Wed 29-Apr-15 18:58:13

FromParis
I guffawed out loud at your post. This is exactly how I feel. Gardening is bloody hard work and with a demanding job and the DC it's sometimes exhausting. Then when you spend so long planting something in a way that it was not supposed to be planted, or your seeds just rot and die, it's takes a lot of determination.

But I do enjoy it. And I have never been so aware of the changes in weather and temperature and so amazed by the tiny seedlings that do break through.

IUseAnyName Thu 30-Apr-15 20:58:08

I have done this too!.... I too didn't know any better! BUT.... I tried to grow carrots outside last year but they didn't make it past the seedling stage (frost or slugs, not sure), which is why I tried starting them indoors this time.
I have recently been told to cut them out of the trays to avoid too much disturbance x

CaTsMaMmA Thu 30-Apr-15 21:01:29

I think the scoffing at carrot seedlings to transplant is more that one seedling gives you a single carrot, so you really are wasting your money.

I grew parisienne carrots once, they were lovely little fat carrots!

Fromparistoberlin73 Fri 01-May-15 22:26:16

I am sticking with flowers , my carrots will be worth five quid each smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now