Talk

Advanced search

Growing Flowers for May Wedding 2016

(4 Posts)
rhihaf Mon 02-Feb-15 11:47:20

My brother and SIL are getting married May next year and are having a relaxed marquee wedding in their field. I've only ever really grown veggies, so please advise me - what's growable for May flowers-wise please?

We have more or less unlimited space to grow, SIL is happy with whatever's in bloom/messy/natural look and I'm a novice. Any suggestions?

aircooled Tue 03-Feb-15 18:48:02

Might be a bit early for annuals so why not try some easy perennials? Aquilegias should be in flower - lots of different colours and you could put them with paler colours of sweet rocket (Hesperis matronalis) and limey Euphorbia palustris or similar. Get them in this year and they will flower well next year. They've taken over part of my garden! Good time for tulips too - buy them in bulk cheaply at www.dutchbulbs.co.uk

rhihaf Wed 04-Feb-15 14:35:20

Lovely, thanks aircooled smile
We are planning a massive revamp of our garden, so may well have some raised beds specifically for flowers by the spring!

aircooled Wed 04-Feb-15 21:57:34

Good luck! If you do use euphorbia watch out for irritant sap - sear cut ends of stems in boiling water, seals the sap in and stops the flowers wilting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: