Talk

Advanced search

New turf lawn doesn't seem to be draining very well

(13 Posts)
Hollyhocks7 Fri 30-Jan-15 20:12:46

We had a new turf lawn laid in September onto well prepared soil, before the turf went down the topsoil seemed to drain perfectly well ( we had a rainy spell during that period). However the lawn is now very squelchy under foot and I have noticed that some blades of grass are looking rather yellow. Also the soil in the flower bed has grown a light moss on the surface. Does this mean the area is not draining well and can anything be done about it? We are not on a clay soil. Would be grateful if anyone has any insights! Thanks

TheHappinessTrap Sat 31-Jan-15 18:32:57

I don't think this helps you at all but my Mature lawn is v squelchy anytime there's a heavy rain period. The ground just gets saturated. I thought this was normal? ?

Ferguson Sat 31-Jan-15 19:33:09

You can 'spike' it all over with a big fork, or a hollow tine aerator (though you are unlikely to have one of those) but it might be worth getting one if it is going to be permanent problem.

Is the flower bed the same new topsoil, or (more likely) is it just the existing garden soil? How long have you had the garden?

'Scuffle' the soil surface with a long-handled fork or tiller - Wolf are ideal, as you only need two or three handles, and all the tool heads lock on. (They are pricey, but about the best tools you can get.)

Keep off the lawn and soil as much as possible, to avoid compacting.

Hollyhocks7 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:12:23

Thanks very much for the advice. Yes, the flowerbeds contain the same soil as what the turf sits on. I will try aerating it and scuffling the soil. ( is that just shuffling the soil about a bit?)

Hollyhocks7 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:14:30

We've only had the garden since the Summer. We had a patio lifted and new soil put down and then turf in September.

SoMuchForSubtlety Sat 31-Jan-15 20:15:23

What kind of grass did you plant? Drought resistant strains have deeper roots and tend to drain water away from the surface better. And obviously the more established the root structure in general the better the drainage.

Hollyhocks7 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:48:25

So as the grass roots become better established might the draining improve?

Hollyhocks7 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:50:28

I don't know what type of grass it is - it was laid by a garden contractor

SoMuchForSubtlety Sat 31-Jan-15 21:01:29

It should drain better as it establishes, but some grass just naturally has very shallow roots so doesn't do much for surface water draining. You can always reseed with drought resistant grass seed if it's still a problem next year?

Hollyhocks7 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:07:02

Thank you, this is very helpful. And do you think grass grown from seed is better than trying to get turf to establish itself well?

SoMuchForSubtlety Sat 31-Jan-15 21:11:04

It shouldn't be if the soil was prepared properly before the turf was laid. Reseeding is just easier than returfing if you have most of a lawn already in place and you just need to tweak it, in your case for a bit of drainage.

aircooled Sat 31-Jan-15 21:18:03

If you've turfed where a patio used to be then the ground underneath could be compacted. Follow Ferguson's advice and aerate the soil - even pushing in a fork and lifting slightly will help. Don't walk on it yet if it's really squelchy though. Is there moss in the lawn?

Hollyhocks7 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:42:42

No, there's no moss on the lawn.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: