Talk

Advanced search

garden make over

(6 Posts)
Anomaly Sat 17-Jan-15 09:11:51

I've been looking at plants that will take some foot traffic for my front flowerbed. I would still like it to look nice and if it smelt nice that would be a bonus. The area isnt big maybe 8 foot by 6 so turf isnt an option as then I'll need a lawnmower.

Any suggestions as to plants I could use. When do I plant? TIA

taxi4ballet Sat 17-Jan-15 15:32:59

Chamomile is used for lawns and can be walked on. Possibly seed, but don't know when to plant it though.

PurpleWithRed Sat 17-Jan-15 15:34:43

Mind your own business (it's a plant). Not much will want foot traffic over it. Make it a gravel area with some odd plants in it such as thyme?

Rhubarbgarden Sat 17-Jan-15 16:55:54

Chamomile lawns are beautiful and amazing, however they don't actually tolerate much walking on. They are also shockingly expensive as it is just one specific cultivar that is suitable, which has to be cloned rather than grown from seed, so you have to buy all the individual plants.

Mind your own business would tolerate being walked on BUT it is an invasive thug and will take over. You will never get rid of it if you ever decide to change things.

Sorry that's not very helpful; there is a reason that you don't see lawns made up of anything other than grass.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 17-Jan-15 16:58:04

Why do you want to walk on it? Could you put stepping stones or a path through it instead if you need to cross it?

aircooled Sat 17-Jan-15 17:50:27

Why not use stepping stones interplanted with thymes - see the thyme walk at Highgrove. It would need to be well drained and sunny though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: