Talk

Advanced search

Too late to cut back, or better late than never?

(7 Posts)
springbabydays Sat 03-Jan-15 15:07:32

It just kept on flowering and so although I did some maintenance, I didn't want to cut it right back in the autumn. Should I still do it or is it too late? I'm referring to pretty much everything in the garden really. Worried about all the sheltering bugs etc. Can it wait till the warmer weather?

springbabydays Sat 03-Jan-15 15:35:24

Apologies for garbled OP. Toddler was whingeing in my ear. He's asleep now smile

So, what I'm asking is should I try and get out there to cut back now, or will the plants be ok if I leave them till spring. Don't want to muck up next year's flowering.

Ferguson Sat 03-Jan-15 19:10:49

Different plants need different treatment, so I think you need to investigate the plant in question on the RHS or Gardeners World sites, or the dedicated site for the plant: plenty of plants have enthusiasts clubs and on-line advice.

aircooled Mon 05-Jan-15 17:15:01

I have the same problem, my garden looks very scruffy now. I'm going to cut down some of the stuff eg ugly black stems of asters (the birds have picked over the seedheads now) but leave some cover for insects and to protect the base of plants in case of harsh weather. Too much cover though and it will also protect the slugs which will then creep out and munch through the new growth in spring - it's a difficult balance.

MaudantWit Mon 05-Jan-15 19:34:17

I'm leaving anything that looks dry and brittle, but anything that looks as if it might be rotting and potentially spreading disease will be coming out.

funnyperson Tue 06-Jan-15 06:15:19

Was wondering the same thing as new shoots are appearing below some of the perennials. I am not sure, though I think if you leave it for a bit till the end of the month there's no harm done.

lavendersun Tue 06-Jan-15 06:41:45

I am often late to the winter garden party .... I don't follow any rules and just cut back whatever I have neglected which is usually a lot!

My garden is too big for the amount of time I have so I get behind. Depends whether you would be devastated to lose something (I never have by the way).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now