Talk

Advanced search

plants for shady area

(6 Posts)
annabanana19 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:57:04

I have a corner in my garden which is 100% shady. I'm looking for a perennial plant that will thrive, cheap to buy & only planted in pots. Its covered slate waste and I have no grass growing at all in my garden.

Ferguson Fri 02-Jan-15 19:34:39

Pulmonaria could start off in pots, but eventually might even self-seed into slate waste!

www.perennials.com/plants/pulmonaria-majeste.html

The silver leaves will lighten a dark area.

annabanana19 Fri 02-Jan-15 20:32:37

Ohhh very pretty! Thank you!

bilbodog Fri 02-Jan-15 21:50:56

Ferns, hostas,

MariscallRoad Sun 04-Jan-15 00:42:51

The Royal Horticultural Society has a page for finding which plants to grow plants by sunlight, height, type etc. There is variety of plants with fragrant folliage and flowers that an grow in full shade. I liked prayer plant and trailing watermelon begonia - they love full shade.

annabanana19 Sun 04-Jan-15 08:43:10

Thanks all. Ill have a look. My garden is half done. Slate waste all over. Old fashioned slate patio (scrounged off neighbours and friends) and my ranch fencing complete with fairy lights. Few tyres with primrose in them and 4 lavender plants.

Need another delivery of waste then it wont look too bad. Looking forward to the summer so I can make my baskets! Been on Pintrest for days looking for ideas on tubs etc. We give our sheep high energy licks in red tubs so ill spray paint them black and plant colourful annuals in them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now