Talk

Advanced search

What to plant, advice needed please?

(5 Posts)
Discopanda Thu 01-Jan-15 22:19:55

Hi, I'm an extremely inexperienced gardener (I'm been known to kill cactuses) but since moving into our home in March I have decided to grow things in our front garden, which is south facing. Basically the old owners used to keep a car on the front lawn so there is a 1mx1.5m patch of dead grass which we decided to dedicate to growing. Last year we planted tomatoes, beans, basil, sage, rosemary and rhubarb and I also put some herbs in pots which seem to have survived. I'm expecting the rhubarb and basil to come back after winter (have grown some clippings inside so I can replant if the basil doesn't come back) and the rosemary and sage have survived. I want to try more veg but the beans didn't take off and the tomatoes grew really well until they got blight, so I've decided they're too tricky to try again. Does anyone have suggestions for easy to grow vegetables and any tips? We're lucky enough to have a resident hedgehog who takes care of a lot of the slugs.

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 01-Jan-15 22:25:07

Depends on all sorts of things, my allotment neighbours grows sprouts and i cant for the life of me grow them so my advice is to try small amounts of lots of things.

My top veg are try beans again - last year was the worst ive ever had for beans, courgettes and squashes, sweetcorn, and parsley. Plus all the perennial herbs - basil wont last the winter (lack of sun) so sow another packet next early summer and keep harvesting the leaves as often as you can. Plus spring onions, cabbages, kohl rabi, swede, beetroot, parnsips. And potatoes!

Discopanda Thu 01-Jan-15 22:26:28

I do really love squash, are they hard to grow?

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 01-Jan-15 22:33:54

Not at all, sow in april, plant out after last frost date and keep well watered. It is usually the slugs or wind that is the main issue with squashes.

Discopanda Thu 01-Jan-15 23:03:30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now