Talk

Advanced search

Favourite cut flowers to grow?

(6 Posts)
silversixpence Wed 17-Dec-14 00:08:45

I'm planning a cutting patch on the allotment and have got a few seeds already but I'd like more ideas. So far I have rudbeckia cherry brandy, antirrhinum crimson, cleome, ammi majus, pink nicotiana, euphorbia for foliage, sunflowers and dark plum and black poppies.

I like dahlias but tried to grow from a tuber in the past and nothing happened.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 17-Dec-14 21:34:19

Calendula and Nigella are good value.

aircooled Thu 18-Dec-14 20:05:23

Try some summer flowering bulbs too which will come back every year. For example - Alliums - A. aflatunense Purple Sensation, A. azureum (blue), A. sphaerocephalum (crimson). Tritelia esp. 'Queen Fabiola' (blue). Camassia - blue or white. Dutch Iris - white, yellow, purple, blue. Crocosmia - red, yellow, orange.

Definitely try Dahlias again - start off in pots then plant out when foliage has become tougher and less attractive to slugs. I love 'Nuit d'Ete' (black cactus) and 'Jescot Julie' (amazing bronze/maroon two tone). The showy, larger flowered ones are less successful as cut flowers - too heavy.

silversixpence Sat 20-Dec-14 11:19:58

Thank you smile I have already planted lots of alliums and have my fingers crossed they will come up.. I have also ordered some dahlia tubers from Peter Nyssen (nearly a third of the price of Sarah raven!). I think my mistake was not starting them off in pots the first time.

FrancesNiadova Wed 24-Dec-14 21:43:06

For late flowers, I put a couple of dozen gladioli bulbs into an old animal trough. They flowered from August to November, I cut loads & they were stunning in the house. flowers

Nydj Wed 24-Dec-14 21:50:06

Sweet peas! Can rarely buy them but so gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now