Talk

Advanced search

Flowers for table centrepiece

(10 Posts)
Mumsfret Sat 13-Dec-14 16:31:34

Sorry, this is more about flowers than gardening, per se: -

Can anyone recommend a flower to be used in table centrepieces on the weekend after Christmas? Preferably not one that's overly "Christmassy" looking; more with the promise of Spring (!) and that can be purchased at a Christmas Eve flower market and last until 28th December?

I'm a bit clueless about what's in season and what might last! blush

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 13-Dec-14 16:34:42

It depends on your colour scheme. White roses and white carnations with some green foliage, sprayed with a light covering of glitter (if you want to kill the natural beauty) look beautiful.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 13-Dec-14 16:36:02

Or red roses, lilies, holly and ivy are not too bad.

Mumsfret Sat 13-Dec-14 20:08:31

Thanks LadySybil. I'd been wondering about white carnations. White roses would make them look more - erm - sophisticated, and glitter would add bit of glitz (love it!).

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 13-Dec-14 21:17:51

grin You're very welcome. If you get a block of florists foam (it's green foam, you just stick the flowers into it to shape them), that would be fab. Green foliage around the base (add a little holly and ivy for the festive feel), then a mix of roses and carnations above. If you want to put candles at the top you need to secure them with some wire or sticks like kebab skewers (sharp point into the base of the candle.

Mumsfret Sun 14-Dec-14 08:54:26

Oh gosh, I'll have some work to do! First, though, to find me some glitter! smile

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sun 14-Dec-14 08:59:15

An art supply shop should sell a spray. You can get the foam from the florists.

aircooled Thu 18-Dec-14 20:32:20

How about anemones? As well as the usual pink and blue ones you can get some more wintery-looking white ones, often with a hint of red at the base of the petals.

SugarPlumTree Thu 18-Dec-14 21:10:26

Depending where you live you could see if any of your neighbours have any Vibernum tinus in flower which you could add. I like the Aircooled's Anemone suggestion, love the wintry looking ones with the hint of red.

Paper White narcissus are available at the moment as well if you want a spring theme.

funnyperson Sat 27-Dec-14 02:48:22

I like winter jasmine, ivy, and the flowers and leaves of fatsia japonica. Fir cones, holly and poinsetta are also good. Hellebor flowers floating in water can be nice , I dont put roses in because I think of roses as summer flowers and its nice to celebrate winter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now