Talk

Advanced search

camelias come into bud!

(9 Posts)
grannyanger Sun 30-Nov-14 21:03:11

will my camelias still flower next year? they have produced a second set of flower buds this year - which I expect will get ruined with the frost now????? x

Ferguson Sun 30-Nov-14 23:31:13

Global warming is changing the seasons a bit.

If they are in an exposed area, can you not protect them with fleece, net curtains or something. These buds are probably getting ready for next year. I think our magnolia stellata is doing the same.

If early frosts do take the buds, they MAY manage a second lot later in the year, but don't hold your breath.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 30-Nov-14 23:32:51

My clematis has put on buds - very weird

CQ Sun 30-Nov-14 23:33:32

My azalea is blooming this week. World's gone mad.

grannyanger Tue 02-Dec-14 22:43:21

I have covered with fleece and will keep fingers crossed its only flowered the last two years so I don't want to lose it.

Footle Wed 03-Dec-14 07:38:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ferguson Sun 07-Dec-14 23:12:34

Keep it well fed and mulched with appropriate material, to keep the roots (which may be near the surface I think) protected from frosts.

grannyanger Mon 08-Dec-14 07:11:18

I live in Surrey so can be mild winters but we seem to get lots of frost.sad sad

SugarPlumTree Tue 09-Dec-14 19:39:55

I think they are supposed to form buds in the Autumn in readiness for next Spring. The Camellia nursery told me not to feed near the winter as you don't want soft new growth to over Winter. Fingers crossed it will be OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now