Talk

Advanced search

Sand pits - how should they be covered?

(9 Posts)
Toptack Wed 05-Nov-14 21:43:48

We're thinking of putting a sand pit in the garden for the DCs, but I'm worried that the sand will end up wet and manky very quickly. Should it have a water tight lid (eg tarp) or a slatted wooden affair that will let water in, but will also allow air to circulate?

Ferguson Wed 05-Nov-14 23:00:15

Won't you wait until spring, before such a venture, as too wet and cold now, surely?

If it is to have raised sides, I would think an all-over marine ply, or rigid plastic, cover, with sides to fit over the sand pit box - like a giant shoe box with a lid might do it.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 05-Nov-14 23:52:13

Watching with interest - I have a leaky ill-fitting tarp which doesn't work at all.

Greenrememberedhills Thu 06-Nov-14 00:19:22

A decade ago I had a pair of big blue rigid plastic boats from John Lewis. One for sand and one for a lid.

The lid doubled as a water course or paddling pool.

You bought them as separates but you just bought two boats- they weren't different.

Greenrememberedhills Thu 06-Nov-14 00:20:21

Like this

http://www.gumtree.com/p/baby-toys/john-lewis-boat-sandpit-with-lid/1029165226

Greenrememberedhills Thu 06-Nov-14 00:24:04

Or

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0009F4YR6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1415233347&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Be prepared for sand being trailed through the kitchen.......

Toptack Thu 06-Nov-14 07:14:19

Thanks for replies. It's a ridiculous time to do it, I know, but it's for DS1's birthday. He actually really wants one of those mini ride-on excavator things, so box has to be big enough and low enough to accommodate one of those. I was thinking about a wooden one because they blend in with the garden a bit more, but maybe plastic with lid is the way to go...

superram Thu 06-Nov-14 07:22:06

I would just be prepared to buy a lot of new sand. I have yet to find a truly watertight cover and the and goes mouldy quickly.

EauRouge Thu 06-Nov-14 08:47:23

I have a wooden one. It didn't come with a lid so DH built one (also from wood). It's not watertight but it does stop the cat from using it as a litter tray. We just replace the sand every spring. It does get a bit of mud in it from the rain but it's still a lot cleaner than playing at the beach. It only needs a few bags so maybe £10-15 to replace each year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now