Talk

Advanced search

New lawn- is gardener right??

(6 Posts)
mysaladdays Sat 01-Nov-14 20:29:05

Hello, need some advice on what we've been told by a gardener. We have a poor lawn- mossy, uneven, full of weeds. We've spent a year trying to improve it with limited success. A gardener has told us that we could lay a membrane over the top of the existing lawn, topsoil and then sew new grass seed. Is this right? He says it will be cheaper and less time intensive than digging up the existing lawn first.

I'm wondering about pros and cons of this method, any ideas? Thanks smile

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 01-Nov-14 20:32:35

We had similar and had it returfed in early September. Gardener basically laid it over what was there (adding more topsoil to level it as much as possible). I'm not sure, two months on, that it was the best method. Pits and lumps are returning I think. Doesn't look it's best at this time of year I guess.

mysaladdays Sun 02-Nov-14 09:58:16

Hmmm.....I just wonder if we should go the whole hog and get it dug up.....

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 02-Nov-14 10:50:32

I would if I could afford it.

I also wouldn't have a dog and kids on it!

WhoKnowsWhereTheSlimeGoes Sun 02-Nov-14 10:54:35

I suspect that the weeds would eventually find their way through. Maybe if you biltzed the entire lawn with heavy duty weedkiller before starting.

mysaladdays Sun 02-Nov-14 12:54:55

Right, think we'll get some quotes for the full job of digging it up and starting again. We wouldn't be doing until just before spring, so that gives us some time......smile
Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now