Talk

Advanced search

Prickly Burglar Deterrent Needed

(12 Posts)
LouisaJF Wed 29-Oct-14 10:11:21

This morning I discovered some junk propped up against my wall. It has clearly been used to help someone climb over the wall into our garden. The sods are not getting a chance to do this again so it's time to plant something lethal in front of the wall.

We had a big prickly bush there before and it got a bit out of hand so I don't really want another unless it's something a bit more attractive and easier to contain. Does anyone have any suggestions of something I can plant to keep Spider-Man out of my garden?

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Wed 29-Oct-14 10:13:54

Can you add trellis to the top of the fence to raise it a little and it also collapses noisily if trying to climb it

Other than that its back to prickly bushes for the to land in think Berberis is a particularly spiky one

mausmaus Wed 29-Oct-14 10:15:56

firethkrn is great
brambles (you can domesticated that are easier to contain and give good fruit)
roses/ramblers

Kahlua4me Wed 29-Oct-14 10:18:30

I have planted blackthorn against my fence for the same reason. Seems to be working, plus I have beenicking the sloes this year for sloe gin!

Winners all round

Kahlua4me Wed 29-Oct-14 10:18:53

Been picking even!!

LIZS Wed 29-Oct-14 10:23:07

pyracantha

MaudantWit Thu 30-Oct-14 17:56:41

Holly
Osmanthus
Agave

but berberis is the one the Metropolitan Police recommend, I think.

fiorentina Thu 30-Oct-14 20:30:31

Pyracantha is a good prickly deterrent

peggyundercrackers Fri 31-Oct-14 10:41:01

we have quite a high wall, maybe 7ft so you cant see the very top of it, and painted the top of it with thick grease - if someone goes to climb over their hands end up covered in grease and their clothes end up covered. in the dark they wont know what this slimy stuff is and wont want to venture over the wall and end up covered in something.

CruCru Fri 28-Nov-14 10:01:32

I think hedgenursery.co.uk have a section on hedges to deter intruders.

Footle Wed 03-Dec-14 07:44:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mistlethrush Wed 03-Dec-14 07:49:14

Holly is easy to clip and doesn't grow too fast. You can often get bare root plants for hedging which wouldn't be too expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now