Talk

Advanced search

New compost bin!

(11 Posts)
CruCru Tue 28-Oct-14 14:17:55

I have just ordered a new compost bin and am ridiculously excited. My Mum makes brilliant compost (she doesn't do much gardening, she just likes compost) and says that it's all in the shredded Amazon boxes.

Do any of you have any tips for making compost? I don't want it to get disgusting and smelly.

Ferguson Tue 28-Oct-14 22:52:06

Over the years I haven't been much good at compost, but we used a large, concrete ex-coal bunker.

A good mix of green and brown material, so leaves and soft vegetable matter, and crushed or shredded twigs, paper and cardboard. Some grass cuttings, but not too much.

It is best to put in as much as possible all at once, as it heats up quicker, but that can't always be arranged. Collect stuff up near the bin, then put it in when you have enough. We also had a shredder, and that probably helped make the best compost, and heated up well: slow worms loved it!

There are chemicals and accelerators, and they say urine is good too, if you want to experiment.

I'm not sure about 'turning' it, while it is active; and it needs air as well, so coarser stuff can provide that. But it is a delicate balance - so GOOD LUCK!

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 28-Oct-14 23:07:04

Male urine only, not female. To do with the hormones.

I am a composter, and make loads each year. Yes to turning it, with a pitchfork not garden fork. A good mix of browns, so shredded cardboard is good, will ensure it doesn't get smelly. A top tip is to chop back loads of herbs regularly and add those to your compost, think of all those essential oils making it smell amazing when you come to use it.

Also, to save backache, pit your bin where you are going to use the compost the next year. Then, twice a year, lift it up and move it to the next place that you are going to use it. Put the stuff that hasn't fully composted into the bin in its new position and just rake out the composted stuff. Saves alot of barrowing and shovelling.

CruCru Wed 29-Oct-14 07:36:05

Hmm. Could I could I use DS's urine? He is 3 and uses a potty.

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 29-Oct-14 07:36:40

Yes, why not!

CruCru Wed 29-Oct-14 08:45:00

Can you put weed sin it? I need to deal with a bunch of stinging nettles.

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 29-Oct-14 08:47:17

Nettles are great for compost.

CruCru Wed 29-Oct-14 09:02:36

Coolness. What about dandelions?

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 29-Oct-14 09:04:37

Just don't add weed seeds and you should be relatively ok. Some people don't add dock, dandelion or bindweed roots but I just chuck it all in.

CruCru Wed 29-Oct-14 09:17:59

That's great. My Mum says she never puts mouldy potatoes in or she gets potato plants growing in there. Also, she won't put citrus in hers.

CruCru Fri 28-Nov-14 09:55:04

Hmm. I am on my way back from my Mums with a jar of compost worms (holes pricked in the lid).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now