Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone suggest an alternative to sleepers for creating a raised bed?

(9 Posts)
HattieFranks Fri 10-Oct-14 18:57:56

I like the look of sleepers but I want it curved not straight. Have ruled out log roll or a wall. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

violetwellies Sun 19-Oct-14 18:05:07

I've used scaffolding planks, but I don't suppose that helps

CuttedUpPear Mon 20-Oct-14 20:55:57

You'll have to build a wall if you want it curved and supporting the soil within the bed.

Dig down a bit to make a mortar bed and build up with concrete blocks or bricks, mortared together.
Cap with stone.

Finish with render for a smooth look.

Clodia Fri 31-Oct-14 12:16:05

I've not used these myself, but I am thinking about them for when I redo my veg patch.
www.woodblocx.co.uk/curves-angle-kits-c-23.html

ClaudiaNaughton Wed 12-Nov-14 13:59:51

My neighbour has great raised beds. He got them from Harrod Horticultural. No relation to Harrods store!

wonkylegs Sun 16-Nov-14 13:30:47

If you only wanted it slightly raised you could try something like this www.lovelytrash.com/project/glass-bottle-garden-bed/

wonkylegs Sun 16-Nov-14 13:42:17

Other quirky ideas include
bamboo
Or corten steel or copper
Or gabion wall
Or recycled roof tiles

grumpyoldgitagain Sun 16-Nov-14 13:45:00

We are currently using potato crates around 6ft x 4ft and about 4ft tall

But after a few years have started to suffer and rot from the constant contact with soil

To replace them we will be using concrete slotted corner fence posts and gravel board cut to length to slot between them

Doesn't help with curves but won't rot again

pebblepots Sun 30-Nov-14 18:46:06

Hi, you can use sleepers to make a curve if you like that look. Cut short lengths and stand them on their ends
www.railwaysleeper.com/Railway%20sleepers%20-%20John%20Roper,%20Radcliffe%20on%20Trent%20022_WEB.jpg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now