Talk

Advanced search

Houseplants - do you grow, what, ideas

(5 Posts)
careeristbitchnigel Sat 31-May-14 23:57:53

Just been watching the GBGR houseplant/cottage garden episode and have been inspired. I used to grow lots of houseplants as a child but as an adult i can't seem to get my mojo. It's not gardening in general as i have a big garden and allotment which are my primary hobby. I struggle with ideas on how to display them and just end up with boring single pots stuck on a table here and there. I would love to have interesting displays. I have an outdoors overflowing with plants but inside i have the sum total of 1 african violet and the stephanotis which was the centrepiece on our table at our wedding. They are both very bonny so i have not inherited my mother's skill of "slaying a houseplant at the front door"

I need some inspiration

IdealistAndProudOfIt Sun 01-Jun-14 19:21:47

I don't think I do interesting displays. I like having plants around as I like green, just think green brightens a place up. Just have a look around your house and think what corners you want to cheer up.

Got lots of spider plants everywhere. Used to have a couple of big fig and rubber plants in corners but they didn't travel with us. Aloe Vera and sempervivum cos they're useful for skin complaints.

I'm a big fan of scented pelargoniums and have just found somewhere that supplies them so have got quite a nice little collection of those. I',m in the process of trying to propagate the ones I only have 1 of as insurance.

Find something you like, whether flowers, greenery or hardiness (definitely a factor for me!) and go for it.

wowfudge Sun 01-Jun-14 19:37:04

We have a tall dracena with dark green leaves with red/pink edges, a stephanotis and a peace lily. And a phaelanopsis orchid which has mottled orange and pink flowers. Nothing particularly unusual. Oh and I bought a succulent from Aldi last week that's in a terracotta plant pot holder. It looks like a fleshy version of baby blue eucalyptus.

Some places lend themselves to a pot plant I think - I just buy things I like and I can think of a home for. I've had a couple of bromeliads in the past, but was never very successful at keeping them going beyond a season. They can have very wacky flowers on them - very unusual.

funnyperson Mon 02-Jun-14 01:40:10

Low on house plants here apart from the occasional orchid & spiderplant

On the noguchi coffee table website everyone has a terrarium.
fuckyournoguchicoffeetable.tumblr.com/

A friend has a goodly array of neat little succulents and it is possible to spend money on buying these at Dobbies. My attempt at propagating succulents failed and I killed the parent plants as well as failing to propagate the cut-off leaves.

Mindy63 Sat 21-Nov-15 14:42:48

I am searching for a name for my new succulent business. I am starting with a spring garden show in my backyard which has an array of vintage decor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now