Talk

Advanced search

What is this weed please

(8 Posts)
Leaningtoweroflisa Fri 11-Apr-14 17:17:44

Hi expert gardeners - this started to pop up in my garden last year, didn't know if weed or not, grew and spread vigorously so decided it is a weed. Think it gets little purple flowers on it? It seems to form a clump of quite succulent stems and spread by root. It is quite fragile ie it breaks when I pull it out unless I get it when small.

Leaningtoweroflisa Fri 11-Apr-14 17:18:44

It's the one in the centre with purpley stems, I realise there are. A lot of weeds in this pic blush

hellymelly Fri 11-Apr-14 17:21:36

Oh I don't know what that is <helpful>. I don't have that in my garden, and it doesn't look like a familiar weed.

fenneltea Fri 11-Apr-14 17:52:57

It looks like spurge (euphorbia) to me, definitely a weed. smile

Leaningtoweroflisa Fri 11-Apr-14 17:56:25

I know - I've been googling British weeds and haven't found anything like it yet - it's not 'fir tree' like enough to be horsetail.

Here are two more pics for identification of it running rampant out in front garden / drive (again complete with more weeds...). One should show how it spreads, the other is a more mature plant.

Leaningtoweroflisa Fri 11-Apr-14 18:23:41

fenneltea, I don't think it's spurge - no hairy stems and no 'latex' sap in the stems? Leaves are less oval / pointier. Also very soft, not woody even when mature.

Bums. Naughty weird weed. Round-up coming up...

Gooner123 Fri 11-Apr-14 19:13:12

Looks like rosebay willow herb to me.

Gatekeeper Sat 13-Dec-14 07:18:37

I know this a an old thread but spotted it when I was looking for something else

You have a variety of purple toadflax there; I have it in the garden. It grows everywhere and also very happy growing in stone walls etc. Bees absolutely love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now