Talk

Advanced search

After transplanting seedlings - to cover or not to cover?

(11 Posts)
crushedintherush Sun 30-Mar-14 18:02:17

Hi there

I'm growing tomatoes from seed, and have just transplanted the seedlings into individual pots. It doesn't say on the back of the packet, or in my book, whether the pots need putting under a propagator again once potted, or to leave uncovered. Please advise.

They are cherry tomatoes, Garden Pearl, that I'm planning to eventually grow in a hanging basket.

crushedintherush Sun 30-Mar-14 18:34:59

Meant to add, its the first time I've grown something from seed, sorry if it seems a daft query smile

Takver Sun 30-Mar-14 18:47:41

Where are they? They need warmth and light. If they're indoors on a windowsill then no, I wouldn't cover them, but I might take them off the windowsill onto a counter or something overnight if it was likely to be particularly cold.

If they're outdoors in an unheated greenhouse then you'll need to find some way of keeping them a bit warmer overnight - mine go in a cold frame inside the greenhouse (so 2 layers of glass) which is shut up at night and then has a thick blanket over it. Obviously it all needs opening up in the day so they don't cook!

crushedintherush Sun 30-Mar-14 19:01:28

Hi Takver, thanks for the advice. They are on the windowsill in the back bedroom, which gets warmth and light. Knowing this now, I will uncover them.

Also thanks for the tip about moving them overnight.

dreamingofsun Sun 30-Mar-14 20:03:11

i've never bothered moving mine from windowsill overnight and never appear to have any problems as a result.

crushedintherush Sun 30-Mar-14 20:10:56

Thanks also, dreaming. Might just keep an eye on the weather.

Don't want to ruin things on my first attempt smile

Takver Sun 30-Mar-14 20:20:27

I'd only move if the windowsill is likely to be cold - I'm thinking cold converted stone barn with single glazing . . .! If you've got double glazing not likely to be a problem

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 30-Mar-14 20:36:03

Whoa - stop there!

After transplanting, you need to leave them somewhere cool to warm - not too hot - they need time to recover before the roots are stable and able to draw up moisture to replace what will be lost through the leaves. Put them somewhere too warm and they will die.

I have a shady shelf where all my newly transplanted seedlings for for at least 3 days, preferably a week. Stuff usually gets transplanted one Sunday and moved into the warmer areas a week later.

Takver Sun 30-Mar-14 21:04:49

I'd be very wary of leaving tomato seedlings a week in the shade, as they tend to get 'drawn' and lanky very quickly without enough sunlight.

crushedintherush Sun 30-Mar-14 21:14:18

Ok thanks funky, something else to consider. Sounds like our bedroom/living room might be best then, as they are the cooler rooms in the house.

The house is doubleglazed and a new build (bit small) so doesn't get too cold, and we have a conservatory behind the kitchen. The back of the house is a suntrap, so the window ledge has been the perfect place to start growing from seed smile

crushedintherush Sun 30-Mar-14 21:41:01

Ok, so having read both pieces of advice, thanks takver and funky, I've decided to keep them cool and shaded in the front bedroom for a couple of days, then move them back onto the windowsill afterwards. Meanwhile, I'll keep a close eye on them.

Thanks to all who have replied smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now