Talk

Advanced search

New Gardener! How to tackle weeds?

(8 Posts)
PolkadotRosa Fri 28-Mar-14 07:33:37

Hi! I have pulled out/cut down the dead, brown bits and phase 2 is weeding.
What tools do I need? A hand fork and shovel shaped tool? And which one for what task? Any tips for weeding?
It's all new to me and I really want to learn how to tidy and look after the garden, so any advice appreciated.
Thank you!

Gooner123 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:32:43

You need a strong fork ( hand forks will be a lot of effort with deeper rooted weeds ) & a decent spade,that's it.

make sure you dig down to get the roots out, don't just rip the top of the weeds off. And weeding is like laundry - it just keeps coming.

Weed the same place again and again - if you do it 3-4 times in about a month this almost completely kills the weeds in it.

Also dandelions are a bastard - if they are in your lawn dig them out as they will flower & go to seed and the seeds will fly into your flowerbed.

OneEggIsAnOeuf Fri 28-Mar-14 10:37:18

One of these is useful for dandelions. If the ground is really bad it might be worth getting a garden sieve so you can remove all the bits of root that can grow into new weeds. Otherwise, it is just a case of digging them out over and over again - obviously you want to remove them before they flower and spread themselves around all over again.

PolkadotRosa Fri 28-Mar-14 18:08:54

Thanks everyone for your advice! I have weeded lotssmile still lots to do. Looks loads better. Some of the weeds were blummin' tough, I became a bit paranoid at one point that I was pulling up the hydrangea roots. But there were dandelions around the base so hoping it was them!?

What flowers/plants would be good to grow with 2 hydrangeas (in their own quite large bed in the centre of patio)?

OneEggIsAnOeuf Fri 28-Mar-14 19:32:18

You want plants that are happy with a bit of shade. I'd go for something like lily of the valley, one of the white geraniums (also good for ground cover and keeping the weeds at bay) and maybe some foliage (ferns, hostas) for a bit of year round structure.

MaisieM0pHead Wed 02-Apr-14 15:15:15

I don't know if this will appeal to you, but I paint stubborn weed leaves with a paint brush and really strong weedkiller (available to dilute from wilkinsons). It even works on brambles eventually. It does look a bit weird though if anyone sees you painting plants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now