Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy good value cacti online?

(7 Posts)
IDugUpADiamond Mon 24-Mar-14 13:11:06

We're not exactly a green fingered family but kids are showing an interest so I thought we'd get started with cacti. Where could I get a few pots of cacti to get us started but not too expensive online please?

TalkinPeace Wed 26-Mar-14 21:48:33

www.bcss.org.uk/coolcacti/cool-cacti-home.html

NanTheWiser Thu 27-Mar-14 12:59:37

Southfields cacti is pretty good for online plants. I've been growing cacti and succulents for over 30 years (in two big greenhouses now!) so it can be quite addictive. Also, the British Cactus and Succulent Society (BCSS) has a lot of advice for beginners. There is a forum here.

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Mar-14 13:05:18

TBH your best bet is to find a local show and go along and chat to the growers and buy a couple of "tots" plants - should be under £3 each
as then you can actually SEE them
and if its a competition show, what they will grow into

half of my 10x12 greenhouse is cacti and succulents - agree that they are addictive

IDugUpADiamond Thu 27-Mar-14 15:07:00

Thank you all so much; since I started this thread I have found this online seller. Do you think the easy-flowering cactus collection would be a good one to get started? Seems like a good deal, £25 for 10 plants?
www.cactusshop.co.uk/acatalog/VALUE_COLLECTIONS.html

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Mar-14 15:11:32

Personally I'd go for the mixed cactus / succulent one
as there are some whose flowers are irrelevant but the form is amazing

the easy flowering will mostly be rebutia and mamillaria - pretty but samey

IDugUpADiamond Thu 27-Mar-14 16:24:57

Thanks Talking, I'll have a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now