Talk

Advanced search

Landscaping a garden - how much are we talking (ball park)?

(10 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Mon 24-Mar-14 11:29:11

We bought our house 4 years ago, and are now starting to think about what we could do with the garden. It isn't in dire need or anything, as the previous owners were into their gardening, and it is a low maintenance garden, as gardens go. We tend to have gardeners come in in speing andin autumn for a massive tidy up, and all we do really is mow the lawn. Its just that it is quite big (I'd say about 50 feet wide and about 150 feet long. That's an approximation - I am not good at assessing distances! The shrubs and plants are very mature.

The garden looks like this as you look down the garden from the house: patio (quite big and square), then raised beds the width of the garden with steps between them leading to the lawn, raised beds then the length of the garden each side to the bottom of the garden. We have a big trampoline and playhouse/swings/slide combo on the lawn. We also have a patio to the side of the house leading to those raised beds whch are closes to the house. We have a big weeping ash in one corner of the lawn, which is our only shade. Garden is north facing, but the area around us is not very built up at all, so it gets lots of sun.

We want to replace all the patio areas, make nice new steps, and have propor raised beds supported by nice walls (ours are crumbling concrete and brick).

How much do we need to be saving please?!

Rhubarbgarden Mon 24-Mar-14 14:15:35

I'm afraid it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. What materials do you want for your patio? Natural stone? Concrete slabs? Wooden decking? The prices and quality vary wildly. Cost of labour depends on the going rate in your area.

Your best bet is to get in a couple of local landscapers and talk through your ideas with them, and ask for estimates. Also do some research into what materials you like. Marshalls is a good place to start.

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 24-Mar-14 15:19:52

Thanks very much Rhubarb, I have looked at that website and ordered a brochure. I will take a look and decide what I like, but I am the kind of person who likes having someone else's ideas suggested. I don't have enough imagination or experience to come up with plans myself!

Rhubarbgarden Mon 24-Mar-14 18:22:08

Definitely have a chat with a landscaper or two then. They will have lots of ideas and suggestions and be able to tailor something to your budget. If you want more significant changes than just replacing what's already there, then you need a garden designer.

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 24-Mar-14 20:07:07

I think we should start saving first! Thanks for your steers.

BingoWingsBeGone Mon 24-Mar-14 20:09:25

Ours was £10k but we had new retaining sleeper walls, building of drystone walls (recycled stone), patio removal, steps built and re-turfed, plus new liner and gravel on the drive.

BingoWingsBeGone Mon 24-Mar-14 20:11:55

Oh and I redesigned it myself, but only wanted a flat instead of terraced garden, a smaller patio and a few raised beds...

bigTillyMint Wed 26-Mar-14 19:13:22

I would have thought ball park of at least £10K for a garden that size, but maybe a lot more depending on what you have done and what materials. That's just going on what we recently had done!

MrsRTea Wed 26-Mar-14 19:20:33

�10K! <<faints>>

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 26-Mar-14 20:29:30

Oh OK. I had thought about £10k probably more. Now we need to start saving!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now