Talk

Advanced search

Best place to buy shrubs / plug plants - online? Garden centre?

(6 Posts)
Chocolateteabag Mon 24-Mar-14 10:51:30

DH has finally finished messing about arranging his lawn and patio in our garden (we moved in 5 years ago) and I can now crack on with turning empty beds into a garden.

We have south facing but exposed beds that have no "plants" in them currently. But will have a sea of weeds (mostly wild poppies) once it warms up. So have been advised to buy some small plug plants to build up in the greenhouse or in pots and plant out only once we've weed killed the weeds which will be in there.

I want to have a low lavender hedge and shrubs with some veg in between (it's quite big)

Any recommendations where to buy? Online or local garden centre? Our village has a garden club and I'll be buying at their next sale but can't guarantee I'll get a lot there as they are v popular

Stoneinwelly Mon 24-Mar-14 17:48:19

I tend to buy my shrubs from the TLC section at the garden centre , much cheaper but the secret is to by at least three of each to avoid it looking bitty. I do the same with herbaceous plants but you can split them before you plant them to make your money go father. If you need tonnes of stuff then the bare root stuff is way cheaper though. You can get those on line. I think I got about a hundred dogwoods for about about 40p each. You need more than you think but again not too many different types of plant is best.

Stoneinwelly Mon 24-Mar-14 17:50:03

Forgot to say when I plant lavender I get the trays of 6/12 little plants and try to get them on special offer as well.

Chocolateteabag Tue 25-Mar-14 20:29:57

Thank you!

CuttedUpPear Wed 26-Mar-14 21:52:19

I buy most of my plants from an amazing chap at the boot sale.
If you have one near you it's worth a look.

Be aware of people trying to get rid of plants from their own gardens that are a bit invasive/overwhelming though. If they don't have a wide selection this might be what they are doing!

ShoeWhore Wed 26-Mar-14 22:12:24

Do you have a plant nursery near you? Our local one is much cheaper than the garden centres and they give great advice too.

Our market is quite good for some stuff as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: