Talk

Advanced search

Teasing georgia climbing rose.

(22 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:48:41

I'm thinking of planting 3 of these on this fence at the bottom of the garden, The soil is wet at the moment but I attribute this to the lack of plants drinking the water.

So, my plan is this for the planting.

Dig the grass out to make a 12" by 12" square bed for each plant plus one spade depth down & fill with compost. Plant rose at 4' intervals (roughly, it might need to be 3'.5")

Do I need some sort of trellis to train it against like sweet peas or is it self supporting?

Is this correct or am I wrong?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 23-Mar-14 09:52:40

You might need to make the planting holes slightly bigger, to make sure the roses are planted deep enough and the roots aren't cramped.

Roses don't need trellis - unless you want it for deco article effect - but will need some support so they can be tied in and won't flap about in wind. Horizontal wires on vine eyes might be best.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:57:52

Right, bigger holes.

Now I just need to find a 3 for 2 offer!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 23-Mar-14 09:58:46

That would be decorative.

bigTillyMint Sun 23-Mar-14 17:14:26

I have just planted a climbing rose - I was going to train it up the trellis, but would it just cling onto the wall? What are vine eyes?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 23-Mar-14 17:16:33

Vine eyes

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 23-Mar-14 18:18:52

No, climbing roses don't have any means of clinging on, so need to be tied to something.

how wet? and does the soil there stay wet? Roses won't drink enough water to dry out a boggy patch. They'll just drown.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 23-Mar-14 19:08:50

Just wet, not squelchy. By the time I'm ready to do it there will be shrubs going in as well.

It's at the bottom of a slope.

bigTillyMint Sun 23-Mar-14 19:46:32

Ooh, thanks Fluffycloud!

funnyperson Sun 23-Mar-14 23:32:28

Yes, bigger hole. Yes, horticultural wire & vine eyes. Also rhizomatous fungi to help roots establish?. Looks shady btw.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Mar-14 06:50:00

bigTillyMint Are you as lost in all of this as me? grin

It's shady until noon, then the first 3 panels left to right get sunshine. Dh wants to wait until we can cut a border before we plant them.

I'll find a shade loving shrub to put in the corner. That's the wet area because it never gets sun properly.

bigTillyMint Mon 24-Mar-14 07:04:26

Yes, I'm not a natural gardener! But we have had some landscaping work done and I want to get some new plants growing.

Will the roses not grow in the shade? Mine is in a similar spot to Fluffy's - shady in the morning then a bit of sun for the afternoon. If the sun's out!

funnyperson Tue 25-Mar-14 21:02:09

Some roses grow better in the shade than others apparently.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 26-Mar-14 08:37:33

Yes, that's been my experience.

bigTillyMint Wed 26-Mar-14 08:57:32

Hope mine is one of them!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:00:53

Me too! All this time fretting its not sunny enough & it might be too sunny.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 26-Mar-14 17:17:08

Person here has found their Teasing Georgia does well in the shade.

bigTillyMint Wed 26-Mar-14 17:37:51

Sounds like yours will be fine, Fluffysmile

I googled mine and it seems it will cope with shade, north facing walls and poor soil. However it also says it is rampant and suitable for larger gardens, so I think I will be out with the secateurs if that proves to be true!

funnyperson Wed 26-Mar-14 20:12:01

Good link wynken, it sounds like Teasing Georgia will be ideal for fluffy!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:14:49

Yay. Now I just need to find a garden centre to sell them for 10p each & I'm set grin

Bearleigh Sat 29-Mar-14 18:42:14

I have Teasing Georgia on a South West Facing wall. It don't find it that rampant so far, and the stems are quite stiff. I do love it: the leaves are lovely and the flowers are just beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now