Talk

Advanced search

a new allotment! and docks.

(6 Posts)
nightshade1 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:15:13

Today I took over a new allotment, its not in too bad nick, apparently its had a few quick changes of hands so it a bit neglected but its nothing a few hours hard graft cant sort out.
Im so excited to get going with it - just got to decide what to grow and where. Ideas gratefully received grin

But docks - there is a patch of grass behind and to the side of the compost bins that is mine, but its riddled with docks.....what is the best way to get rid?

dreamingofsun Sat 22-Mar-14 15:40:27

i'm no expert with the docks, as i too am on my first full summer with a plot. would love to hear what you are planting and how its growing on a regular basis. the allotment post seems to have vanished from here

docks - can you did them out? Or cover with black plastic till they are dead? I don't think you are supposed to put weeds like this in compost, but i've read you can soak them for a few months and then do it once they are dead - this is what i'm trying.

there are lots of seeds that you can plant now - beetroot, carrot, turnip, parsnip, leeks, onions, pots, cornflowers. grow what you like to eat. you also need to work out your crop rotation and i suggest drawing a plan. i have 4 foot beds, with paths between made from weed suppressant. build a compost heap asap so you have somewhere for weeds. Inside i have corn, basil, origano, sunflowers, sweat peas, growing. i have found that with a cheap unheated propagator the results are much better than without.

is it a full plot or a half - min's the latter and i have already nearly filled it

i too am excited. i'm finding doing little and often is great

Dig em out but good and deep, or mow mow mow if you can, or a sneaky squirt of glyphosate.

I keep a bucket of water next to my compost bin for roots of things like docks. Eventually when it's truly disgusting the water goes on the compost heap.

Methe Sat 22-Mar-14 15:58:46

I'm a first year allotmenteer too smile I have dug out most of my docks and have used that gel roundup on the rest.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 23-Mar-14 02:22:48

I dig them out but the roots are deep. That looks great, you'll have that up and running in no time and a productive summer.

nightshade1 Sun 23-Mar-14 19:46:13

its rented as a half but actually its about 2m short of being a whole plot - its on the end so missing a bit to allow the cars to the turning circle.
(im not going to complain its bargain rent!)
today ive dug over the 2 beds nearest the compost bins. its actually really light and easy to dig and ive got a plot robin who followed my progress closely grin

I think we have decide to mow mow mow the docks short and cover the whole area with black plastic and bark and use the area for growing potatoes in tyre stacks.

ive discovered a gooseberry bush behind the compost bin and a raspberry in the front bed (will need to move it, but it looks to be a young cane)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now