Talk

Advanced search

Pruning woody shrubs

(2 Posts)
didireallysaythat Fri 21-Mar-14 21:11:52

I've inherited a mock orange some 4m tall, all old woody growth. No obviously newer growth from the base. We moved in in August so I don't know if it flowers but the first leaves were more than 2m high.

I like mock oranges but maybe this is too old to renovate. There are probably 10 stems all more than an inch in diameter. Should I just take them all down to close to the ground and see what happens ? Or just a third ? It's unfortunately right by the lounge window and would mask the path by the side of the house nicely if it had lower growth.

I also have a hibiscus that was planted between two conifers so grew horizontally for a metre or so past the conifers boughs and then up. Just two stems, both about 2 inches. Very pretty flowers late summer/early autumn. We've just had the conifers remived. Do you think it would also survive a hard prune to try and give it a better shape ? Only two branches so less forgiving potentially...

Tips, suggestions and timings much appreciated !!

I'd go for drastic pruning for both of them but wait till after they've flowered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now