Talk

Advanced search

What can dd plant in the garden but NOT veg?

(10 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 19-Mar-14 13:19:54

Dd is 7 and has said she would like her own little patch in the garden. I've tried to get her interested in growing veg, herbs, things she can eat etc...but she has NO interest. She wants to grow pretty flowers and be able to pick them because they're hers!

I know nothing about gardening so can anyone recommend something pretty she can plant from seeds and will grow fairly fast before she gets bored??

Rhubarbgarden Wed 19-Mar-14 13:22:44

Nigella
Calendula
Nasturtium
Scarlet flax
Fried Eggs
Baby Blue Eyes
Sunflowers

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Wed 19-Mar-14 13:22:49

Maybe sweetpeas? You can cut lots of flowers of them.

mrsnec Wed 19-Mar-14 13:26:19

Yes to the above. Definitely sunflowers keep the seeds for next year too when they're fully grown. Geraniums too as they last ages and are quite hardy.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 19-Mar-14 13:26:44

What about some sweet peas - the more you pick them , the more flowers you get . Cosmos are also very easy from seed. Sunflowers, Pot Marigolds, Cornflowers, Poppies. Lidl/Aldi have cheap roses at the moment, though guess you'd need to be a bit careful of the thorns.

Google Cutting flower garden and there will be lots of ideas.

Dancergirl Wed 19-Mar-14 13:31:03

Thank you. As a complete gardening novice, is it a case of planting the seeds, watering them and then waiting? Or is there more to it than that? How do I know if it's the 'right' type of soil?

LiberalLibertine Wed 19-Mar-14 13:33:10

My mam just sent a box of butterfly garden to my kids smile you just rake the soil, shake the seeds through hole in box and water, the picture looks beautiful, they come up within few weeks and attract butterflies.

wonkylegs Wed 19-Mar-14 13:57:04

My son is growing nastursiums, sunflowers, poppys
a mix of flowers for butterflies and bees
Snake gourds & pumpkins for halloween
Cress - is a good starter even if you don't eat it as its got such rapid results
+ tomatoes, lettuce, peppers & sweetcorn even though he has no interest in eating them just racing his dad to grow them.

Johnsons do some seeds & kits especially aimed at Children here

we try to mix things up so we have stuff blooming as we wait for longer term stuff
good luck

You will have to do weeding too. Easiest thing is to sow your seeds in patterns - circles, lines, a grid, whatever - so you can see where they are, then anything else is a weed. When they get bigger they will all mesh together and you won't see any lines.

You will also have to watch out for slugs, but Rhubarb's list are not slug favourites so that's a big plus.

vanillamum Wed 19-Mar-14 19:39:21

If you are near poundland get a few of their bareroot plants. These look like dirty carrots just shove them five cm under the soil and water. Try one called bleeding heart in a shady corner-grows like a weed so guaranteed success and a cool name. Small red and white dangling flowers. I personally find seeds a bit hit and miss and too slow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now