Talk

Advanced search

My bush...looking a bit tatty

(5 Posts)
ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Wed 19-Mar-14 03:22:49

grin Thought that would get attention grin

Neighbour has fenced her garden .. Hedge (privet) was nice and thick, now looks half dead. No light coming through it at all, at any time of day.
So, do I give up and rip it out?
sad face as spent a lot of time nurturing it
Thanks

Do you think your hedge has had its roots damaged by the posts going in, or is just suffering from a lack of light? The new fence might be causing a rain shadow too.

I'd invest a year of TLC and if that doesn't work scrap it. So nice hard prune right now taking out anything actually dead completely and taking the rest back to a good shape, gentle slow release feed, water, mulch, and make sure it doesn't dry out too much this summer. If it doesn't respond enthusiastically grub it out and try something else.

Bookaboo Wed 19-Mar-14 17:06:09

check out my earlier bush thread a few posts below, sounds like we have a similar problem!

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 20-Mar-14 00:37:24

Sorry for the late reply smile
Thanks for your replies I will definitely try the first and check out the last (on app so can't name posters) but thanks for advice xx
I'm upset to be honest, it looked lovely after really pruning back hard, lots of bonemeal and feed, cutting at right times, I was just waiting for it to regain height (hard pruning helped to thicken the base) now it resembles planted tumbleweed, not happy angry

I know AIBU sad to be stressed about it but reckon pulling it out is about the best idea. I can water it regularly but due to position it gets no direct sunlight any more

Thanks again x

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 20-Mar-14 00:39:12

Oh and both .. The roots definitely damaged by posts and now the added lack of light.
Poor hedge, you had a long life <sniffle> smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now