Talk

Advanced search

What do I do with all the stones?

(5 Posts)
Inselaffe Sun 16-Mar-14 14:03:57

We have a small garden with a border on three sides. Until we moved in (eight years after the house was built) no one had ever dug the garden over criminal!. It was previously an old folks' home that got razed to built the estate so they literally seem to have bulldozed and built directly on top without clearing anything.

As a result the borders are full of rubbish, mostly glass, tiles and stones as I have dug up the big bits and thrown them out. I am still getting handfuls of stones as it's very claggy horrible soil. The lawn is also dire but that's another story.

I put the weeds in the green bin and the glass/plastic in the black bin but feel guilty throwing stones away - does anyone have any suggestions about good (ethical!) ways of getting rid? I live in NE England if that helps and have already saved the massive bricks etc. on the off-chance they'll be useful.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 16-Mar-14 14:09:02

I ended up using mine as a path down one side of the veggie patch.

Line pots with them for drainage?

peggyundercrackers Sun 16-Mar-14 21:00:48

We had a similar problem in that our earth was full of stone, glass and old tiles etc. when we dug it over we threw all the stone in the local council skips but we had loads and loads of stone, it wasn't just a bag or two

Mothergothel99 Mon 17-Mar-14 13:04:28

Get a delivery of manure and let the worms do the work. it will take years to remove it all we did this on a big patch of awful soil and every six months or so the stones need sieving off the top.
Three years later I'm finally planting in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now