Talk

Advanced search

Can anybody recommend a small tree?

(10 Posts)
hiddenhome Fri 14-Mar-14 22:39:56

It will be for a small, south facing front garden. It can't be over about six feet high and I don't like anything flowery (apart from blossom).

I like Japanese maples, but apparently, they don't like full sun.

I don't like anything with a weeping shape, it has to be properly tree shaped ifyswim.

smile

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 14-Mar-14 22:45:21

Amelanchier x grandiflora ballerina.

Beautiful tree. Wonderful blossom. Berries in June. Leaves turn amazing red in autumn. Nice shape. It has it all with knobs on.

Parietal Fri 14-Mar-14 22:45:38

look on the RHS plant finder website. there are lots of types of maple (Acer) and I'm sure one would be suitable. But 6ft high is very small for a tree. what about a nice shrub? e.g. viburnum davidii?

Parietal Fri 14-Mar-14 22:46:28

sorry, plant selector is the thing you want

apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 14-Mar-14 22:47:21

Or if you want the maple, go for Acer Griseum. Paper bark maple. Completely fantastic and will be fine in full sun. In fact, all maples will be fine in full sun, who told you they wouldn't be fine in full sun?

hiddenhome Fri 14-Mar-14 22:47:27

I have a tree obsession blush

hiddenhome Fri 14-Mar-14 22:48:35

I've just been on a site that has Japanese maples and it says they like partial shade.

hiddenhome Fri 14-Mar-14 23:08:41

Yes, on second thoughts, perhaps a shrub might be better. There are some that can have tree shapes apparently.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 15-Mar-14 07:57:08

Yes don't put an Acer in full sun. I tried it once. Scorched leaves. Amelanchier is your tree.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 15-Mar-14 08:00:50

That's really odd - all my acers are in full sun.

Anyhoodles; Amelanchier Canadensis for a shrub-like Amelanchier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now