Talk

Advanced search

Toddler friendly planting?

(6 Posts)
JRsandCoffee Thu 13-Mar-14 12:55:06

DD is going to be between 18 months and 2 years this summer/ autumn and she loves being outside in the garden. I've got a sand and water table on order and I'm off to buy her some satisfying stones to enjoy in her own mysterious way. There are bits of the beds she can rootle about in and many daisies, no doubt a slide/ climbing frame will invade in due course! So, now I just need some planting ideas for things that are reasonably child friendly. Roses and lavender are staying put where they are as are bulbs etc. I've planted some sweet Williams already and am looking vaguely at my pots, the herbs are all up in a vast container and she already likes a browse. I'm thinking that nasturtium and marigold, peas and sweet peas might be my friends as reasonably non toxic, any other ideas? Obviously I will be explaining carefully and repeatedly that we don't eat the plants but I do anticipate that the message may not stick immediately!! Tomatoes are going in baskets this year as leaves are poisonous I think?? Anyone?

Also, I noticed an aconite breaking through in a healthy sort of fashion in the back garden and am in two minds whether to dig it out, it's not in an area I anticipate her finding massively alluring but still horribly poisonous. Is the general consensus to dig up or leave and educate with such plants? I'd be cutting it right back as soon as flowers start to seed.

Thanks for any wisdom in advance!

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 13-Mar-14 12:58:16

Carrots! They do take a while to grow, but so exciting to harvest! My DC are always so proud of them smile
Also strawberry plants are great, although they will tend to 'try' a few green ones while you're not looking before they believe you when you say they are better if you leave them to go red grin

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 13-Mar-14 13:00:52

Sorry, didn't answer the other part of your question!

I didn't worry too much about non-edible plants as they were never unsupervised in the garden and I heavily discouraged random munching of leaves (I may have turned a blind eye to the strawberries though wink). I don't think we had anything too poisonous in our garden though confused

JRsandCoffee Thu 13-Mar-14 13:04:36

Thanks, I think I have a few strawberry plants that were shooters from last years rather elderly plants, will see if I can put them somewhere more hospitable ;-). Yes, leaf munching is going to need careful watch in, she still likes to put everything in her mouth, fervently hoping it stops soon!

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 14-Mar-14 06:34:39

Our elderly strawberry plants also produced lots of offspring last year smile
I am looking forward to this year, mine are 4 and 2 1/2, so this feels like the first year that they will be able to listen properly and follow rules smile I am giving them their own little patches each this year, i think the 4yo will probably have a go at growing some easy stuff, and I'm going to help the 2yo make a 'small world' with hers, with stones, shells, little animal/dinosaur figures, maybe grow some salad leaves for 'trees', that kind of thing grin I think I am more excited than she is blush

Stree Fri 14-Mar-14 18:59:31

My Granddaughter is 6 now and from an early age I taught her what she could eat in the garden, and she knows not to try anything else without asking............So she happily has nibbles of nasturtiums, spring onions, chives, fennel, mint, etc. plus the usual strawberries, damsons, raspberries, blackcurrants, blackberries and so on.
We live in a small village and traffic pollution is not an issue.........It might be if we were back in our inner city garden.
She also helps me sow seed and plant bulbs every spring, and uses her little watering can to help out, and keeps the weeds down after being shown which ones the chickens, rabbit and guinea pigs like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now