Talk

Advanced search

I'm worried about my bush

(11 Posts)
Bookaboo Thu 06-Mar-14 23:02:40

We moved into a new house in the autumn. It has a lovely neat bush around the front garden which seems to have slowly deteriorated since we moved in - looking untidy, patchy bits, holes. It's a bit like a boxus but I'm not sure if it is. What could I do to improve the patchiness and general condition?
I did ask the previous owners whether there was any secret to their bush and whether they fed it anything, but they said they didn't do anything other than give it a trim twice a year.

Well, when it comes to trimming bushes you've found the right person.

Could you post a picture of your bush, especially the patchy bits?

If it really exists and is box it could have box blight (not good).

namelessposter Sat 08-Mar-14 20:40:19

Snigger

Cuxibamba Sat 08-Mar-14 20:41:57

Um.

Bookaboo Tue 11-Mar-14 12:43:25

Here are some pictures of the bush. The last one is one of the healthier looking areas of the bush.

Bookaboo Tue 18-Mar-14 17:09:53

can anyone help me out? what sort of bush is it and what can i do to improve it?

RobinSparkles Tue 18-Mar-14 17:11:03

grin grin

<<snort>> [childish]

Gooner123 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:48:28

Looks like a privet to me,& it's a Hedge ! Lol.its just looking a bit tatty,wait till spring & it will prob.start to fill out again.

Bookaboo Wed 19-Mar-14 17:13:15

i'm not convinced about the diff between a bush and a hedge isn't it just:
neatly trimmed bushes in a line = hedge
anyway, lets not turn this into a thread about that. i was concerned that it seems to have gone down hill since we moved in. i thought maybe someone has been sabotaging it, because the worst section is next to the path at the front, and the best bit borders next door. no difference in conditions or sunlight.

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 20-Mar-14 00:58:15

They're being cheeky.. smile Bush lady garden wink

When mine was naff before my neighbour put up their fence I took mine right the way back from about six foot high to approx three ft high (privet) and drastically thinned it to allow it lots of light to the base. It worked brilliantly, as well as regular watering and digging bonemeal in round the bottom, someone came and put something else in for me think it was phosphorous but not sure, I also got horse manure in a large bin and topped it up with water, used that to water the base of the hedge once a month.

Result was a much thicker healthier hedge that I trim in April and September and it's now up to five foot high and much thicker only 18 months later.

Hope this helps x

Monty27 Thu 20-Mar-14 01:00:10

<immature snort> Its best to keep bushes well manicured.

Now shrubs and hedges... well they're different grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now