Talk

Advanced search

Is it too late to prune my honeysuckle?

(9 Posts)
joymaker Sun 02-Mar-14 06:12:23

I've never pruned or cut back the honeysuckle I planted along my garden fence approximately 4 years ago. I keep meaning to though clueless not sure at what time it is best to do it so keep putting it off. All the growth is now appearing at the ends with most honeysuckle consequently falling into my neighbours garden when it comes out.

It has started sprouting it's leaves now so is it too late or can I /should I prune it now?

It's become quite straggly from the ground up to the fist metre and a half or so, so how much should I cut it back?

TIA

Bearleigh Sun 02-Mar-14 06:33:10

There will be other people who are experts, along soon, but I once cut a very honeysuckle right back, and it came back. As you don't get any of the benefit of the flowers, it sounds like that is what you need to do - and then keep on top of it.

According to the RHS now is the time to do this radical treatment, but you won't get any flowers this year (see pruning):

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=439

Then pruning depends on when it flowers.

ShoeWhore Sun 02-Mar-14 18:47:22

I was told to cut back a third of the stems quite hard each year, choosing the oldest ones each time.

joymaker Mon 03-Mar-14 09:11:01

Thank you both for your advice, pity I won't be getting any flowers this year but think I'll have to go for it this week... gulp!

Gatekeeper Mon 03-Mar-14 09:14:24

I cut ours back hard last year in the spring and had loads and loads of flowers on it so doesn't always go according to experts

joymaker Mon 03-Mar-14 11:09:16

Ooh Gate thanks for that, it's given me added determination smile

Most honeysuckles flower on last years growth so if you cut that off now you won't get flowers this year. However, if you cut it back halfway then you should get flowers on the old growth.

In the absence of any other instructions, the best time to guess at hacking back most overgrown flowering things is shortly after they've flowered.

CuttedUpPear Mon 03-Mar-14 23:59:44

It depends on what time of year it normally flowers. If it is spring flowering, try not to cut off too much yet. You should prune it after it has flowered.

If it flowers later in the summer, you can go for it now and give it a proper haircut.

Scarletohello Tue 04-Mar-14 00:01:32

Oops I thought the thread title was a euphemism.. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now