Talk

Advanced search

Tiny allotment - worth doing?

(12 Posts)
PointyDogs Wed 26-Feb-14 14:20:53

I've just been offered an allotment on a newly opening site. I've been on the list for nearly five years waiting for this site to open (they promised it 3 years ago), and am massively disappointed to find out that in order to get the waiting list down, the plots are only 5m x 5m sad I'm wondering whether it is worth taking the plot at all to be honest as I doubt I'll be able to get much in there at all.

So to any experienced allotmenteers - is it worth it? I would need to squeeze in a small shed, as I need somewhere to store tools (will be travelling there by bike), and would like a compost bin, both of which would cut down even more on the space available. Realistically how much could I hope to cultivate in such a small space?

Breakage Wed 26-Feb-14 14:26:38

5m x 5m is 25 square metres and plenty big enough - in fact might be better of you're just starting out IMO. Compost bin and shed need only take c. 3 of those square metres.

Our veg patch at home is approx. 3m x 3m (9 square metres) and we're pretty much self sufficient all summer. You'll have more than twice our space.

JollyGolightly Wed 26-Feb-14 15:07:11

That's masses of room! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

PointyDogs Wed 26-Feb-14 15:08:51

For a backgarden plot it would be great, but given the extra hassle (cost of extra tools, a shed, travelling over there a few times a week etc) I'm just not sure. A traditional allotment plot is 250 square metres, so these are tiny in comparison!

orangepudding Wed 26-Feb-14 16:13:39

5 x 5 meters does seem small. Are you planning on growing both fruit and veg? Have you had a look at it, it may work well with some careful planning.

I have a 5 pole allotment, half is devoted to fruit and the other half will be veg. I only took it on last week and am already wondering how I will fit all my veg in!

TiggyCBE Wed 26-Feb-14 16:16:21

If it's a new one you might find lots of people pull out after 1 or 2 years and you could grab some more room. Or maybe if the demand stays high they'll open a new one. Does seem small though.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 26-Feb-14 16:51:55

They started with 7x5 plots on our allotment and a fair few people stayed with this size. I'd look at a garden storage box to cut size down. I agree that will be pleasantly surprised with what you can fit in. A big one at the start is a bit daunting, good to ease yourself in gently.

Spherical Wed 26-Feb-14 17:06:40

It depends on what you want to grow really. Plenty of space for a few currant plants - you only need one each of red, white and black) beet root, parsnips, carrots, climbing French beans, runner beans etc. if you want to grow lots of potatoes then you may struggle to have enough space to make it worth your while and allow for crop rotation.

PointyDogs Wed 26-Feb-14 19:00:21

I had hoped to grow fruit and veg, but will have to reconsider what is highest priority, and how to plan the plot on a much smaller scale than I originally thought. Not sure if this new site is going to clear the waiting list entirely - might be worth asking towards the end of the year if any have come available, but would have thought there might be rules about only having one plot? We won't be able to work the plots until April, but I can go in now and take a look at the site - will try to get over there this week and see where my plot is.

Spherical Wed 26-Feb-14 19:52:14

It is probably worth going for it as lots of people give up within a year so more/bigger plots may be an option in a years time.

Greenrememberedhills Wed 26-Feb-14 20:59:10

My veg garden in my old house was that size. It was quite big enough and kept me quite busy in spring and summer.

Added to which you could edge it with step over fruit trees, or line it with raspberries on a more shady boundary.

You don't want long double rows of most stuff coming in a glut together. I tended to plant in blocks of 3 or 4 ft square. You'd get a few of those!

I say go for it.

PointyDogs Wed 26-Feb-14 22:43:22

ooh I like the idea of step-over fruit trees as borders smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now