Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good wheelbarrow?

(10 Posts)
SweetApril Tue 25-Feb-14 09:58:24

Hi, my dad's requested a wheelbarrow for his birthday as his trusty many-times-repaired steed has just fallen apart. He loves gardening and has a fairly big garden so I want to get him something decent. He says he would prefer something lightweight rather than the hefty metal one he has now. Has anyone got any recommendations? It's a significant birthday so I don't mind spending a bit especially as he'd probably only buy himself a cheap B&Q one. I'm not sure he'd be keen on one of those folding ones. He does do several gardening jobs but I don't think the wheelbarrow needs to be portable. TIA.

ThistledownAndCobweb Tue 25-Feb-14 10:22:35

We have a Henchman Barrow

They are very expensive but ours has been worth it. We have a large garden and they have a huge capacity and you can move them one handed. I know this sounds a bit gimmicky but it is so useful.
DH designed our paths so the henchman can go anywhere in the garden.

SweetApril Wed 26-Feb-14 08:54:35

Thanks, Thistledown. Those Henchman barrows look amazing but I'm a bit shock at the price! Although it's made me think about how much I want to spend and I suppose about £100 would be my maximum. I found this and this on Amazon. What do you reckon, gardening folk?

Those two both look great - don't get anything folding or fussy if he hasn't specifically asked for it. If fact, ask him if he has a particular model in mind? I've got an old Fort one, extremely tough.

funnyperson Wed 26-Feb-14 12:08:23

try this one recommended by 'which'
www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/COUNTY_Clipper_Polypropylene_Wheelbarrow.html?gclid=CK_62Mbg6bwCFfPItAodb2UAyg
it is a lot cheaper than £400

ThistledownAndCobweb Wed 26-Feb-14 14:17:43

I won't tell you what I said when he initially spent that much on a barrow (and this is from someone who spent silly money on a copper trowel) ... But I have had to eat my words as ten years down the line it has been used and used and is still in perfect condition.

I liked both the barrows you linked to on amazon and I'm sure your dad will be delighted with his gift.

maggiemight Wed 26-Feb-14 18:24:27

I use one like the Maingate Cruiser. The County Clipper, ime, topples sideways if piled high with branches for example. I garden on a slope so the Henchman would be too heavy to shove uphill.

SweetApril Mon 03-Mar-14 12:50:04

It transpires he also has a really big barrow which he uses for large loads and he wanted something a bit smaller so I've gone for the County Clipper. Thanks, all!

gardenerexpert1 Wed 30-Nov-16 16:48:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

user1489832332 Sat 18-Mar-17 10:39:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now