Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a wormery? Come and tell me all about it....

(10 Posts)
MrsBartowski Sun 23-Feb-14 12:53:31

I am planning on growing lots of veg this year so I was just looking at composting when I cam across the idea of keeping a wormery.

They look like they take a wider variety of kitchen waste so I'm quite tempted.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences they could share?

Oodhousekeeping Sun 23-Feb-14 21:16:28

We have 2 , what do you want to know?

MrsBartowski Mon 24-Feb-14 20:12:52

Yay! I'd given up hope smile

Do you have to give them much attention?

I'm just keen to know as much about them a possible. My local council are doing the full kit for £32 delivered. What did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking?

Oodhousekeeping Mon 24-Feb-14 20:58:38

Dh bought me the original as a birthday present and the second we made ourselves so caht comment on cost. Had stuff from wrigglerly wrigglers

We give them v little attention. Feed feed feed and eventually clean out the tray into the ground.
Watch out for fruit flies , pita.

Had one of those round ones, found it totally inadequate to deal with the quantities I wanted to put in, but what did come out was like what you'd imagine Harrods compost would be like.

Oodhousekeeping Wed 26-Feb-14 07:30:50

Our home made one is a dustbin!

MrsBartowski Wed 26-Feb-14 15:57:38

This is no ordinary liquid compost.... smile

I'm pretty tempted. I'd like to start growing veg (whole other thread!) so this sounds like a good step smile

maggiemight Wed 26-Feb-14 18:28:15

I think I might get one. How long does it take to produce the compost like stuff? And will it take tea bags? And do you just spread it onto the garden? Could I use the compost in the greenhouse or will it attract flies?

Oodhousekeeping Wed 26-Feb-14 18:36:13

Ooh the worm juice is good stuff . Dilute is as liquid feed.

Takes a few months to clear a layer but once it's going it won't feels as long.

Yes to tea bags. Mix wet stff with paper /card too.

Yes spread it on a bed, make sure that most of the worms have moved up into the next layer first. But it's will take eggs into the ground which isn't a bad thing.

maggiemight Wed 26-Feb-14 18:59:13

Great, my compost never composts down properly, too cold and wet where I live probably, so this seems a better alternative. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now